• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A wierd international paternity case: advice wanted

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hee hee

rmet4nzkx said:
Rapunzel, Has someone been pulling your braids? :confused:
The child is in GERMANY that is why the German government is contacting him about taking the DNA test. There can be consequences for failure to take the test and if there is paternity fraud, better to prove it, last but not least, there is the best interest of the child.
Moot moot moot
We cannot help.
But that was sooo funny Doc.

rmet4nzkx

HSTech said:
2 rmet4nzkx:
You are saying I can be restricted in travel. What do you mean?

2 all:
Will they make me pay for the past years if DNA matches?
Thanks in advance.
They can take your passport and or not issue visas or arrest you at the boarder when you try to enter Germany. Since they have agreements, they could collect child support from you in Canada. You will have to check on German law as to how long the can go back to collect child support.

LdiJ

stealth2 said:
Your passport can be taken away. [/QUOTE[

I disagree with that....He never was or is subject to German law because he never was or is a citizen or resident of Germany. If there are reciprocal agreements between Germany and Canada I sincerely doubt that taking away a passport is a likely result.

Seriously? When have passport issues been connected to child support even when everybody is in the same country?...visitation and custody yes, CS no.

You would have to research German law to find out what they allow as far as back support.
I agree with that 100%. However if you have told the truth here...and your relationships with German women were limited to "one night stands"...I do wonder how you can be forced to submit to DNA testing. I agree that you should absolutely do it...because you honestly need to know whether or not you have a child and should take responsibility if you have a child....however you should have an attorney guiding you through the process.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Actually, LDi, generally when CS arrears exceed $5k, one's passport CAN be revoked. I don't know Canadian law, so I don't know if Canada does this or not. We're really all pissing into the wind. OP should seek local council.

I'm curious how a one-night stand was able to track him down on a different continent, myself.

AHA

stealth2 said:
Actually, LDi, generally when CS arrears exceed $5k, one's passport CAN be revoked. I don't know Canadian law, so I don't know if Canada does this or not. We're really all pissing into the wind. OP should seek local council.

I'm curious how a one-night stand was able to track him down on a different continent, myself.
This case is proof that pillow talk can be a dangerous thing........some people give away more info about themselves after the dirty "deed" than they planned on before getting there.

HSTech

Thanks, everybody. I sure will see a local council. One last question though:
If the DNA matches, I'm eager to take responsibility, no pronlem here. However, will it be possible to insist of giving the 6 y.o. my name and arrange visitation, once I'm prooved to be the biological father? I mean the lady (whoever she is :confused: ) may not want that and be after the money only. Besides, can it be the case that she is happily married and there's a legal father also?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
HSTech said:
If the DNA matches, I'm eager to take responsibility, no pronlem here. However, will it be possible to insist of giving the 6 y.o. my name and arrange visitation, once I'm prooved to be the biological father? I mean the lady (whoever she is :confused: ) may not want that and be after the money only. Besides, can it be the case that she is happily married and there's a legal father also?
Somehow the MAIN message is not getting through. IT DEPENDS ON GERMAN LAW! Sheesh.

rmet4nzkx

HSTech said:
It may have taken them 6 years to track you down. You will need to check with an Attorney in Germany as to your rights and the possibilities if you are proven to be the child's father. Since you are willing to take your responsibility and want parental rights, then take the DNA teat will answer your major question with the least amount of expense and stress, then go from there. If you are going to do that, perhaps the German embassy can answer your questions as well, then you can seek further counsel as needed.

LdiJ

stealth2 said:

Yes I do realize that....but certainly the German courts wouldn't have the ability to revoke his passport.

However I agree that we are all pissing into the wind because we don't know anything about Canadian law.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
LdiJ said:
Yes I do realize that....but certainly the German courts wouldn't have the ability to revoke his passport.
And noone said they would - but a Canadian court might. Hence, he really needs to speak with a Canadian attorney to find out what could be done by a foreign government, and he needs to speak with a German attorney to find out what German laws are wrt this situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">