• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A year later and a bit wiser

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skyy

What is the name of your state? CA/DE

Well, I've been here a year. After some interesting events, I figured I'd let those who were so kind to help me along know how things have turned out thus far.

recap - sd was living in DE with great-grandmother (who filed for guardianship against biomom) while dh was overseas. I cross-filed for guardianship and started gathering paperwork to help dh get his daughter. During the time, I learned the difference between emergency and ex parte filing. After petitions where mailed all around the world and 4 months late, dh returned home from a 14-month deloyment. He put in for change of custody but was then told he'd have to deploy again in two months.

Oct - sd was sent to live with us (before custody petition was filed through the courts)
Jan - I dropped my petition for guardianship after dh was transferred from the unit that was deploying so he could fight his own battle.
Feb - dh called in for mediation; biomom did not show. Mediator recommended they keep joint custody (unless he wants to pursue full custody and keep fighting until she shows up to court) with dh having primary residence.
Yesterday - we received court orders showing father as primary caretaker.

All of my crumbsnatchers are together!:D

Thanks to those who answered or attempted to answer my questions! It's made a world of difference and saved quite some time, effort and money!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">