• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandon home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dandt

What is the name of your state? Arizona

This is rather complicated, so any advice would be welcome.

In the year 2000 I purchased a home with my then husband. A couple of years later we divorced. In the divorce, it was mutually agreed on that he kept the house. The divorce papers were drawn up by myself as I knew he would not contest the divorce. It states in the decree that he is :resposible for the upkeep, mortgage etc...

My exhusband is a citizen of Great Britian and we were scheduled to go to the INS interview for perm. res 2 days after our divorce, needless to say I did not attend.

I never signed a quit claim deed on the property**************now here is the problem.

He is missing......I suspect running from the law or the INS. The home has been abandon.
It is now a health hazard and the city has come in and boarded the property up. He has been missing for close to 2 years. All of the utilities were disconnected.

The mortgage has been paid every month in full, however it appears now that just the interest is being paid as the payments that have been made in recent months have been reduced, as if he's paying just the interest.

Is there any way I can sell this property based on the fact that it is abandon and now the city has had to come and clean it up and secure it? I've been wanting to relocate and purchase my own home, and can't do it as my name is still on this mortgage.

acmb05

dandt said:
What is the name of your state? Arizona

This is rather complicated, so any advice would be welcome.

In the year 2000 I purchased a home with my then husband. A couple of years later we divorced. In the divorce, it was mutually agreed on that he kept the house. The divorce papers were drawn up by myself as I knew he would not contest the divorce. It states in the decree that he is :resposible for the upkeep, mortgage etc...

My exhusband is a citizen of Great Britian and we were scheduled to go to the INS interview for perm. res 2 days after our divorce, needless to say I did not attend.

I never signed a quit claim deed on the property**************now here is the problem.

He is missing......I suspect running from the law or the INS. The home has been abandon.
It is now a health hazard and the city has come in and boarded the property up. He has been missing for close to 2 years. All of the utilities were disconnected.

The mortgage has been paid every month in full, however it appears now that just the interest is being paid as the payments that have been made in recent months have been reduced, as if he's paying just the interest.

Is there any way I can sell this property based on the fact that it is abandon and now the city has had to come and clean it up and secure it? I've been wanting to relocate and purchase my own home, and can't do it as my name is still on this mortgage.

No you cannot and neither can he. It is not abandoned it is just empty at the moment apparently he is still paying the mortgage.

Go to the lender and ask them why the payments are lower, then see if they know where he is at.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">