• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

About expert witnesses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rmet4nzkx

I received this PM today from
Private Message: Easy Question

Today, 06:56 AM
simonmom

Question: Why do some injured people have to hire medical experts to review their injuries/records, etc. before they go to an attorney? Is that to GET an attorney to take their case/validate it? In my limited experience, the attorney deposed the physicians for their expert opinion...obviously they were the physicians familiar with the pt/client..but wouldn't they be considered experts as well??
Thanks if you have time...thanks if you don't.
sm
The answer to this question is not as easy as you think.
Without a state and some facts the question cannot be answered because there are different tests/standards for expert witnesses in each state, as well as a national standard adopted by most certifying organizations. Furthermore, if a person questions their injury they ae free to seek further opinion, an attorney may quesiton the merits of a case before taking a case and require further evidence. Treating providers may or not fall into the category of expert witness depending on the facts, the court and their qualificaitons. Treaters have a duty for the best welfare of their patient, whereas and expert witness may be hired to independently examine the record or the patient.

Simonmom, please post your questions on the appropriate forum so other may learn rather than post PM's to get your answer. This is the last time I will ask you to do that. In the future, I will simply delete your message.

simonmom

rmet4nzkx said:
I received this PM today from

The answer to this question is not as easy as you think.
Without a state and some facts the question cannot be answered because there are different tests/standards for expert witnesses in each state, as well as a national standard adopted by most certifying organizations. Furthermore, if a person questions their injury they ae free to seek further opinion, an attorney may quesiton the merits of a case before taking a case and require further evidence. Treating providers may or not fall into the category of expert witness depending on the facts, the court and their qualificaitons. Treaters have a duty for the best welfare of their patient, whereas and expert witness may be hired to independently examine the record or the patient.

Simonmom, please post your questions on the appropriate forum so other may learn rather than post PM's to get your answer. This is the last time I will ask you to do that. In the future, I will simply delete your message.
My apologies, rmet. I wasn't sure I could post a general question in the forum or if it was reserved for specific cases. Now I know. Thanks for answering anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">