• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accident with out insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joe0187

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
My girlfriend was in a wreck some time back. She has now been sued for nearly 10,000 which she doesn't have. What are the probable outcomes of this in my state as far as jail time, license suspension time are concerned? Does a payment plan prevent that.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
My girlfriend was in a wreck some time back. She has now been sued for nearly 10,000 which she doesn't have. What are the probable outcomes of this in my state as far as jail time, license suspension time are concerned? Does a payment plan prevent that.
The operator of a vehicle that is without insurance in Indiana is subject to a 90 day license suspension or 1 year suspension if this is a repeat violation of the FR law within 3 years.

Driving without insurance in Indiana is a Class A infraction, unless you have had prior convictions for this violation then it is considered a Class C misdemeanor. Beyond getting your license suspended, the driver of an uninsured vehicle could also be assessed points according to IC 9-25-8-5. The number of points assessed shall be determined by the point study committee based on an evaluation of the situation.

In Indiana an infraction is the least serious offense to commit. It usually involves a minor violation of law, such as a traffic offense. Infractions are not considered crimes; they call for civil (non-criminal) sanctions. IN does not have to prove your guilt "beyond a reasonable doubt," as it does in criminal cases, and you cannot be imprisoned for an infraction violation.

A payment plan WILL NOT prevent her from having her license suspended.

ecmst12

It won't prevent it from being suspended due to the violation, but it can be suspended even beyond that, indefinitely, if a judgement is issued and she does NOT work out a payment plan (and stick to it) - until the whole amount is paid off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">