• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accidentally stole pack of gum

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There's a lot of that going around.

For instance, you guys don't do homework (or do you?).

We were split up into groups of 6 and given a scenario to try in a mock trial. The Pharmacist defense was floated to you guys and you pounded it senseless. Yesterday we ran it out and the pharmacist won. So now I have to decide which better represents a real-world result, and I have to say it's not an easy task.

I will add though that my boss (defense attorney to which I perform research) found all your feigned ignorance at my arguments here in this post very entertaining lol.
What in the WORLD are you talking about? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

ihatebias

regardless of whether or not you believe me: what should i plead when I go to court? should I pay this civil demand before than or after? should i bring it up in court? how do i get a civil defender?

Usually you plead not guilty and ask for a public defender unless you are able to hire an attorney. You can always change your plea later after the benefit of counsel if you feel it is in your interest.

Winraces

I would go into court holding a pack of gum and the first thing i would say is "does this mean anything to you your honor" There is no way you are going to face a court of law over a 50 cent pack of gum.. if this is really the case im moving to another counrty or killing myself

If you intend to plead guilty or no contest, then go ahead and pay the civil demand now. But if you're going to fight it then paying the demand won't help your case as you are conceding that you owe it.

Either way you'll probably end up paying it because the civil burden of proof is less than the criminal burden.

If you intend to plea guilty or no contest, paying it now would be something you can mention in court in the hopes of leniency. You really should get an attorney to negotiate for you.

racer72

how do i get a civil defender?
You ask the judge for one. But because you will not be facing jail time for this, your request will be denied. If you are granted a public defender, you will also discover something else. The use of PD is not free, you will be required to fill out a financial declaration and you will have to pay based on a sliding scale, your income and assets will determine how much.

seniorjudge

There's a lot of that going around.

For instance, you guys don't do homework (or do you?).

We were split up into groups of 6 and given a scenario to try in a mock trial. The Pharmacist defense was floated to you guys and you pounded it senseless. Yesterday we ran it out and the pharmacist won. So now I have to decide which better represents a real-world result, and I have to say it's not an easy task.

I will add though that my boss (defense attorney to which I perform research) found all your feigned ignorance at my arguments here in this post very entertaining lol.
You're illiterate as well as a liar.

ihatebias

You ask the judge for one. But because you will not be facing jail time for this, your request will be denied. If you are granted a public defender, you will also discover something else. The use of PD is not free, you will be required to fill out a financial declaration and you will have to pay based on a sliding scale, your income and assets will determine how much.
And if my income is 0 dollars. And my assets in bank are 0 dollars. And I have 10,000$ in student loans?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
besides the fact that i spent 20$ on my perscription at the same place after picking up the gum
You can't even keep your story straight when you have the opportunity to review it:

Remember this?

I was inside of a grocery store picking up my prescription. On my way out I was looking at the candy isle and noticed a lone pack of gum. The gum had the words "TEST GUM" on the pack. Thinking it was a sample, I picked up the pack of gum and headed out the door, gum in hand

Country Living

What your boss may have found "very entertaining" is that he just snagged you for inappropriate use of company resources. Not only are you posting on company time, you’re using a company computer. If you're as pompous as work as you are here.....ta ta.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">