• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Action in excess of $15.000.oo?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moburkes

Moving assets around AFTER you've been sued is a really easy indicator for fraud. You can trust in your insurance company that they will realize that it is a frivilous suit or you can hire your own attorney.

TooBad

Thanks guys,I appreciate all your info and input!
One more Q. if I may.- At what point and time will the suing party start to check on my assets and keep tabs on how much I have in my accout and what is going on with my property? What rights do I have? I'm not a criminal!

moburkes

Probably not until they win a judgment against your for more than the amount of your coverage. They don't have access to your information. At the appropriate time (if it ever comes to this) they will require you to provide the information to them.

JustAPal00

I'm not sure about the moving of assets, but if it's anything like Bankruptcy court they go back like 6 months. I went through a bankruptcy and we were told not to try to shift assets because it would piss the judge off. We were also told that the judge had the power to reverse any transactions we made like selling a car or boat way below market value. If you own assets you should never cary the state minimum insurance. I know a girl that had to take out a mortgage on a paid off home for an accident she had!

TooBad

What do I do now?

Hi again- a follow-up on this mess.
Friday I received a letter from my insurance co. telling me that; Law firm so and so at so has been asked to represent me in my law suit,- Great, now I have someone to help me!- not so fast!
About one hour latter I have a phone call from a lady telling me who she is and that she is the attorney that is going to represent me. She gave me her name and told me that she will be out of town or the next week and she just wanted to call me to let me know and that she still have not received any info. from the insurance co. or any of the case papers! She will, talk to me when she get back in town!- Now it's a sweet/bitter position to be in, I have a lot of questions for her and she only have until 07/30/07 to answer the summons (20 days).
I got on the internet and found the law firm they mentioned but I don't see her name listed with there attorneys, I also checked the Fl. Bar association for her name, but can't find her ther or any place else I looked!? Now, I'm concerned about maby she is not a certified atterney, maybe she is a "tranee" or ?
I need a good experienced attorney to handle this case, were the plantiffes are a Attorney/wife team
and him having been in practice for more then 40 yeras.
Q- What can I do to find out who this "attorney"(?) is and make sure that I get a qualified attorney to reprecent me in this case!?
Any help or info. is much appreciated.

las365

I understand that you are worried, but you would do yourself a favor by chilling out a little. It is extremely unlikely that this person is misrepresenting herself as an attorney. The scenario of the accident that you describe makes it sound unlikely that there will be some huge excess judgment against you, as there are apparently three other avenues of recovery, all of which are insurance companies (yours, the driver of the other car, and the plaintiff's underinsured motorist coverage) that will probably settle.

Try to relax. They'll file the Answer in a timely manner. Make an appointment to meet with the attorney after she returns and has had a chance to review the claims file and the lawsuit. It is doubtful at this time that you need to incur the expense of paying another lawyer to watch her.

moburkes

You're not their first customer with a claim.

Unless your insurance company opened it doors yesterday, this is what they have been doing to earn their money for a living. This is their area of expertise. They don't want to pay a frivilous claim any more than you do. The difference is they know what the hell they're doing.

The only way to insure that you get a qualified attorney is to hire one.

If you don't trust your insurance company, then you should have switched a long time ago.

NOW is NOT the time to decide that they are incompetent idiots.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">