• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adjudication Withheld?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dolebot

I'm confused by a term - adjudication withheld. I know it means that the court didn't exercise its full punishment, but what else - does it indicate that no points go on the license?

I had a speeding ticket for 11-15 over (maybe 10-14, forget) - but the original fine was $230. Never having had any moving violations while in FL (10 years now) - and not wanting to pay for - have to attend traffic school, I decided to roll the dice and throw myself at the mercy of the court.

I did just that - at the pre-trial hearing the judge asked everyone individually how they felt about the case, what they wanted to do - some folks did things like "I have no job - I have no money, if I have no car it'll only make it worse, yada yada, others flat out denied doing the charge - others didn't know what to do. In most cases the judge gave a reduced penalty - mostly off the cuff after reviewing the driving record, for a plea of no contest. In almost all cases she said "adjudication withheld".

My turn I said: "Your honor - I beg the mercy of the court and plead no contest" - "Wow, you have no moving violations in your history, only admin stuff like that suspended license for not having insurance, and failing to show registration... $125 Adjudication withheld".

Used in that context does that mean no points? Haven't had a chance to pull my record and see for myself.

racer72

I means the court found you guilty of speeding but did not convict you. Pay the fine, stay out of trouble and you don't show a conviction on your driving record.

FlyingRon

You can dodge points on the Adjudication Withheld if you take traffic school.
If you don't take the school, your case will turn into guilty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">