• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption contract issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Proejo

Texas.

I posted this a while back in the Contracts forum seeeking advice, but got no response. My wife and I tried to get pregnant for four years, then signed a contract (after going through the background check) with an adoption agency to adopt out of China. Four days later, we learn my wife is pregnant. Great news, but we provided a huge deposit. The contract says no refunds, but also, no work was ever performed, no home study course ever issued and no case worker assigned to us. The agency refuses to return the deposit. We're inclined to take them to small claims court. Wondered if anyone has had similar experience and chose to sue? Should we just forget it and move on?

nextwife

Proejo said:
Texas.

I posted this a while back in the Contracts forum seeeking advice, but got no response. My wife and I tried to get pregnant for four years, then signed a contract (after going through the background check) with an adoption agency to adopt out of China. Four days later, we learn my wife is pregnant. Great news, but we provided a huge deposit. The contract says no refunds, but also, no work was ever performed, no home study course ever issued and no case worker assigned to us. The agency refuses to return the deposit. We're inclined to take them to small claims court. Wondered if anyone has had similar experience and chose to sue? Should we just forget it and move on?
Actually, I know of two families where a pregnancy was discovered during the adoption process. They, however, went forward with their foriegn adoptions and did not abandon their other future child to the orphanage system. They became the parents of two kids. They call them "artifical twins".

Proejo

We know others, too, that have done the same. We weren't into the process yet, so we weren't emotionally invested enough to continue. The question is, though, is the agency entitled to keep the funds even though no work had yet been performed and they admit as such?

weenor

Proejo said:
We know others, too, that have done the same. We weren't into the process yet, so we weren't emotionally invested enough to continue. The question is, though, is the agency entitled to keep the funds even though no work had yet been performed and they admit as such?
It really does depend on the exact wording of the contract. Have a local lawyer review it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">