• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

adult kids

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sharon valente

What is the name of your state? california

When is a kid considered an adult when it comes to health insurance. I have a 20 year old son who still lives with me and goes to school. He now has his own health insurance policy that I have been paying for. If I drop the coverage and he has to go to the hospital and does not have the money to pay for treatment am I responsible? Or option 2 if I raise the deductable who is responsible to pay that if he does not have the money?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That's between you and your son. The hospital doesn't care who pays for the insurance policy. Since he's an adult, they'll consider him responsible for anything that's not covered by insurance.

I don't want to make assumptions, but your posts are sure giving the impression that you don't want to have to pay for your son's medical bills. If he's still in school, how do you expect him to make enough money to pay such bills?

Are you employed and do your have health insurance through your employer? Most group insurance policies will continue to cover an adult child under the age of 23 (sometimes 25) who is still a full time student. Then all you'd have to pay is whatever your employer charges for a family rate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">