• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adult mental health POA vs guardianship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

draj

Seeking knowledge as to whether I can have an attorney complete a POA to be signed by family member in Florida (I am in Missouri) so that I can be in charge of mental health care and finances. I am trying to stay away from Public Guardianship, but need consent in order to get him help he needs. Complicated situation. He is not marchman or baker acted, went voluntarily, but will be released or leave if I don't figure something out. He arrived there with no money, no car, just the clothes on his back. But I can't just rescue him to repeat the cycle again. Seems like only criminals can get court ordered treatment. He is unable to survive or take care of himself, but they release him and tell him to go to outpatient. He can't do anything for himself right now.

quincy

Seeking knowledge as to whether I can have an attorney complete a POA to be signed by family member in Florida (I am in Missouri) so that I can be in charge of mental health care and finances. I am trying to stay away from Public Guardianship, but need consent in order to get him help he needs. Complicated situation. He is not marchman or baker acted, went voluntarily, but will be released or leave if I don't figure something out. He arrived there with no money, no car, just the clothes on his back. But I can't just rescue him to repeat the cycle again. Seems like only criminals can get court ordered treatment. He is unable to survive or take care of himself, but they release him and tell him to go to outpatient. He can't do anything for himself right now.
What is his family relationship to you? How old is he? Can you get him to leave Florida and move to Missouri?

zddoodah

Seeking knowledge as to whether I can have an attorney complete a POA to be signed by family member in Florida (I am in Missouri) so that I can be in charge of mental health care and finances.
The attorney can draft the POA, but it won't give you any authority until and unless your family member in Florida signs it in the manner required by Florida law (notarized and in front of two witnesses).

I am trying to stay away from Public Guardianship
Why?

He can't do anything for himself right now.
Then he's probably not mentally competent to sign a POA.

I suggest you confer with an attorney in the area of Florida where this person lives.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">