• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adultery in Backgroun Check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC

I'm about to begin a new job which will of course involve a criminal background check. My ex and I were divorced about three years ago due to my adultery. Will that show up in my background check? There is nothing else there.

Thanks!

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC

I'm about to begin a new job which will of course involve a criminal background check. My ex and I were divorced about three years ago due to my adultery. Will that show up in my background check? There is nothing else there.

Thanks!
It is quite possible.

swalsh411

I disagree. I have never seen that in a background check and I've looked at hundreds. It may contain the following:

-Marriage date
-Marriage location
-Divorce date

I've never seen anything about why there was a divorce.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why would something that is not a crime turn up in a criminal background check?

Antigone*

I disagree. I have never seen that in a background check and I've looked at hundreds. It may contain the following:

-Marriage date
-Marriage location
-Divorce date

I've never seen anything about why there was a divorce.
If a law suit was filed for alienation of affection this could very well be seen in a background check. In my line of work our due dilligence personal background checks also include public records and court filings.

Just said it was possible, since logically it is not out of the realm of possibility.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If a law suit was filed for alienation of affection this could very well be seen in a background check. In my line of work our due dilligence personal background checks also include public records and court filings.

Just said it was possible, since logically it is not out of the realm of possibility.
An alienation of affection suit would not be filed against the OP in this situation. It would be filed upon the mistress.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Since criminal background checks are not necessarily the only checks that might be made, the correct answer to the question the poster is really asking (which is, is my new employer going to find out about this?) is, it is unlikely but not impossible.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
It is possible as others have said. Also if you need a security clearance you could find yourself denied.

CdwJava

Will adultery turn up in a background check? The correct answer is: Maybe.

We all know (or should know) that background checks are not created equal. If the ONLY source of information is public records and court documents, then unless there was a suit or public record citing adultery as a reason for a divorce or other action, then it probably will never come up. If, however, the background check includes personal contacts with individuals that know or knew the applicant, then it will very likely come up.

Infidelity can be an important indicator of the character and honesty of a person which is why in security clearances and even in public safety this is an issue of concern. But, your typical employer might do nothing more than pay for a search of public records and if that is all, then infidelity is not all that likely to appear ... but, if the accusations are online and the potential employer also searches the web and social media sites, then it might appear there as well.

So, the answer remains: Maybe.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">