• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice on deposits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?Oregon. When we rented our house management company A rented to us and was great. we paid our deposits to them and never had problems with them. we paid our rent every month on time. This month Management company A closed due to retirement and ill health of manager. So our property owner hired Management Company B. Company A knew condition of house when we moved in (in fact we paid to haul out a small amount of garbage from prev. tenants.) Management B knew nothing of condition of house at time of rental agreement signing. The deposits was transfered from A to B. We are going to be moving soon and giving our notice. other than leaving house in better condition (our house is real old and has a lot of wear and tear) and short of taking photos.

my question is How can we avoid having problems getting our deposits back? I do not want to be charged for something pre-existing? How can we make this as smooth a possible

Last edited:

ENASNI

SkeeterBug said:
How can we avoid having problems getting our deposits back? I do not want to be charged for something pre-existing? How can we make this as smooth a possible

Sorry Skeets... unless you have a pre-walk thru list that shows all that was wrong with the house to go back to, its a toss up here.

Maybe management company A will write a letter for you.

Leinalani

SkeeterBug said:
What is the name of your state?Oregon. When we rented our house management company A rented to us and was great. we paid our deposits to them and never had problems with them. we paid our rent every month on time. This month Management company A closed due to retirement and ill health of manager. So our property owner hired Management Company B. Company A knew condition of house when we moved in (in fact we paid to haul out a small amount of garbage from prev. tenants.) Management B knew nothing of condition of house at time of rental agreement signing. The deposits was transfered from A to B. We are going to be moving soon and giving our notice. other than leaving house in better condition (our house is real old and has a lot of wear and tear) and short of taking photos.

my question is How can we avoid having problems getting our deposits back? I do not want to be charged for something pre-existing? How can we make this as smooth a possible
Did you do a pre-rental walk-through of the home before signing a lease agreement? If you do, and most LL/Property Management Companies do this to cover liability for both you and them, than it should be in MC A's files.

I would check with MC B to see if they have any of the previous damage on file. It's also a good sign to MC B that you've paid rent on time and had a good relationship with MC A.

Besides that, i'm not sure how you can prove the condition of your home prior to MC B coming in. Also, I would advise that you do a thorough walk-through of the property at the end of your rental period with MC B.

Good luck!

Company A did not do a walk through list but I do have witnesses like my mother and if all else fails and company B charges me for things that was pre-existing then I will probably file a claim in small claims court and see if prop manager A would consider being a witness. Today we recieved a letter from company B and I guess company A did not go out of business but they are only selling real estate not doing property management because of the prop manager retiring and in the letter it stated that if we had objections to Company B getting and holding Deposits collected by Company A then put it in writing and I wrote a letter today stating that I wanted our deposits left with Company A because I felt uncomfortable with Company B holding deposits since they have never seen the house we are renting and I also stated that Company A knew the condition of the house.

ENASNI

otay bugwheat

SkeeterBug said:
Company A did not do a walk through list but I do have witnesses like my mother and if all else fails and company B charges me for things that was pre-existing then I will probably file a claim in small claims court and see if prop manager A would consider being a witness. Today we recieved a letter from company B and I guess company A did not go out of business but they are only selling real estate not doing property management because of the prop manager retiring and in the letter it stated that if we had objections to Company B getting and holding Deposits collected by Company A then put it in writing and I wrote a letter today stating that I wanted our deposits left with Company A because I felt uncomfortable with Company B holding deposits since they have never seen the house we are renting and I also stated that Company A knew the condition of the house.

Good Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">