• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice on how to proceed.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Heather0709

I had a boyfriend who asked for help with a car because he was driving his ex wife's car and he needed to give it back. I bought the car with my own money, registered and licensed it in my name. He then quit his job and asked that I help him start a lawn business, LLC. I did and both our names on LLC. He told me he needed a truck to haul the lawn equipment and so we traded the explorer in for a truck. I could not apply for the car loan, as building a home and appled for a loan for this. The truck loan in his name, but he did not get the vehicle registered and was driving with my plates from the explorer for the past few months. I had to call the police to go get those plates. We broke up in July and he told me he was going to trade the truck in to get me my money, but is now saying I gifted it to him and I did not. Any advice on this matter?

Just Blue

I had a boyfriend who asked for help with a car because he was driving his ex wife's car and he needed to give it back. I bought the car with my own money, registered and licensed it in my name. He then quit his job and asked that I help him start a lawn business, LLC. I did and both our names on LLC. He told me he needed a truck to haul the lawn equipment and so we traded the explorer in for a truck. I could not apply for the car loan, as building a home and appled for a loan for this. The truck loan in his name, but he did not get the vehicle registered and was driving with my plates from the explorer for the past few months. I had to call the police to go get those plates. We broke up in July and he told me he was going to trade the truck in to get me my money, but is now saying I gifted it to him and I did not. Any advice on this matter?
What U.S. State?

zddoodah

registered and licensed it in my name
What is the distinction between "registered" and "licensed" in this context?

I did and both our names on LLC.
Meaning you're both members of the LLC, right?

we traded the explorer in for a truck.
The "explorer" is the car you mentioned in the first couple sentences of the post?

Any advice on this matter?
Seek a consultation with a local attorney. In addition to dealing with the vehicle issue, you're going to want to dissolve the LLC.

Heather0709

What is the distinction between "registered" and "licensed" in this context?
The Explorer was registered in my name and with my license plates.

Meaning you're both members of the LLC, right?
We were both members of LLC. All funds for the business also came from my personal savings.

The "explorer" is the car you mentioned in the first couple sentences of the post?
Yes, the Explorer was traded for the truck.

Seek a consultation with a local attorney. In addition to dealing with the vehicle issue, you're going to want to dissolve the LLC.
I am working on dissolving the LLC with the state now.

Heather0709

Yeah, never get financially involved with boyfriends. If anyone ever asks you for financial assistance, it's a warning from God to walk away.
-Yea, I have learned the hard way.

Oh, about the current deadbeat. You can sue him. You might even win. But odds are that you'll never see a penny of your money.
-I am trying to find out how to file a civil law suit pro se. The amount is too large for small claims court.

quincy

-I am trying to find out how to file a civil law suit pro se. The amount is too large for small claims court.
Filing a lawsuit by yourself in Missouri:
https://www.courts.mo.gov/page.jsp?id=4092

You should be able to go to the court for a “civil complaint packet.”

How to find an attorney when you discover the task of filing a lawsuit on your own is too difficult:
https://www.courts.mo.gov/page.jsp?id=611

How to find an attorney for “limited scope representation” where you do some of the work and the attorney helps you out when necessary:
https://www.courts.mo.gov/file.jsp?id=58861

Last edited:

Litigator22

Yeah, never get financially involved with boyfriends. If anyone ever asks you for financial assistance, it's a warning from God to walk away.
-Yea, I have learned the hard way.

Oh, about the current deadbeat. You can sue him. You might even win. But odds are that you'll never see a penny of your money.
I dislike dissuading you from your efforts but given only what you have provided I don't see that you have a sustainable cause of action (legal claim/lawsuit) against the ex-boyfriend.

To begin it's rather obvious that if you hadn't become disenchanted with the relationship, for whatever reasons, you wouldn't be seeking legal assistance.

Secondly, motive aside, you haven't alluded to any event or incident giving rise to a recognizable cause of action. In legal jargon it means that you haven' stated a factual foundation or set of transactional circumstances for which the law affords legal relief. Not every wrong is righted in a court of law.

At best would be his telling you that he was going to trade in the truck to get you your money. Even as irrational as it is (trading the truck for something else rather than selling it) it could only suffice as a conditional promise to get you your money and from a specific source.

Furthermore, if relied on as a promise to pay it would fail in court for lack of certainty. Such as when to pay and to pay what! The court would never fill in these crucial blanks.

The point I'm attempting to make here is that even if you were to survive the motion phase of your proposed lawsuit, he would never have need to present evidence in support of a defense that you gifted the vehicle as a down payment on his truck. (Which I believe was your precise purpose.)

At the end of your case in chief (for reasons stated above) your claim would be dismissed with prejudice. Meaning it could never be reasserted in any form.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">