• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Affidavit of Collection & Reverse Mortgage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

draco

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

My father passed away with a small estate (under $50,000). He has a house with a reverse mortgage. The house is worth less than the reverse mortgage balance. He has a will. If not for the house, we could do an affidavit by colleciton. Do I have to go through probate just to turn the house over to the reverse mortgage company?

Thank you in advance.

adjusterjack

Contact the reverse mortgage company.

They might have a procedure for taking ownership without the house going through probate.

FlyingRon

Notify the lender of the death of the mortgager and let them know the heirs have no interest in redeeming the property. Reverse mortgages are non-recourse loans. All they can do is take the property.

LdiJ

Notify the lender of the death of the mortgager and let them know the heirs have no interest in redeeming the property. Reverse mortgages are non-recourse loans. All they can do is take the property.
I agree. This is not your problem but it would be wise to let the mortgager know that you know that its not your problem. Don't worry if you get included in a foreclosure suit. They would be naming you only as someone who might have an interest in the property, not someone who had any legal obligation to pay the debt to them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">