• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Affidavit of Parentage Origintation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MTHRaye

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I tried google and searching past threads with no luck...

When was the AOP thing stated especially in NC? I have an 11 year old. Her father and I were never married, separated when she was 18 months and have never been to court for anything. We have always (well eventually anyway:) agreed to everything including spending all holidays together even when both of us remarried, so I don't see it changing on either of our parts.

I am not sure if he ever signed an AOP. I know he is on the BC and he IS her father (no question there). I just want to make sure since I have read here that if not he is not the "legal" father. Heaven forbid anything happen to me, but I want to make sure that he never would have any issues. He is one of the most involved dads I have ever seen. Everyone at the school knows him, the doctors know him, the leaders in church know him. I don't understand what legally would happen should I die, but I want to make sure if there is something that we need to do that I do it just in case.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I tried google and searching past threads with no luck...

When was the AOP thing stated especially in NC? I have an 11 year old. Her father and I were never married, separated when she was 18 months and have never been to court for anything. We have always (well eventually anyway:) agreed to everything including spending all holidays together even when both of us remarried, so I don't see it changing on either of our parts.

I am not sure if he ever signed an AOP. I know he is on the BC and he IS her father (no question there). I just want to make sure since I have read here that if not he is not the "legal" father. Heaven forbid anything happen to me, but I want to make sure that he never would have any issues. He is one of the most involved dads I have ever seen. Everyone at the school knows him, the doctors know him, the leaders in church know him. I don't understand what legally would happen should I die, but I want to make sure if there is something that we need to do that I do it just in case.
If he on on the birth certificate, its almost guaranteed that he signed the AOP at the hospital. An unwed father has to sign the AOP in order to be placed on the birth certificate. You could go ahead and file a stipulated agreement to joint custody however, to make things totally "official" if that would make you all feel more secure about things.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">