• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

After 10 years...YOU'RE FIRED!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MxnDva

Hello all. This is my first time in this website so I hope you can help me.

I've been working for the corporate office Toyota Motor Sales in California for over 10 years. in the beginning of this year a new manager came on board and immediately knew that things were going to be different. This new manager of mine would e-mail me every day asking me about the time i came in. What time i went to lunch and what time i left for the day. i found this odd but thought nothing of it. i asked my fellow co-workers if the same things were happening to them and they said no. it got to the point that i was feeling harrassed.

Less than a month ago I was called in to get my performance review from that same manager and on my performance review he stated that i was a great employee. we're evealuated by numbers 1-5 and 5 being the best and i received 4. a few days after that i received a merit raise based on my performance and an article was written about me in the company's newspaper. A few days after that my manager called me into H.R. and terminated me. He said that other associates have "observed" me being away from my desk or I was "observed" not coming in to work and puting on my timecard as if I had worked. He went completely on observations. He couldn't show me proof to back up his allegations. As a matter of fact I wasn't given any paperwork explaining the reason I was terminated.

I got fired based on other people's "observations". I really don't understand. i asked him to bring forth the person who has told him these lies and of course he wouldn't. i also told him that i could turn around and point fingers and would that employee be let go.

of course the "at-will" law is out there but it doesn't mean that it's legal to do that. you may say that i need to prove that my manager is lying about the allegations well don't you think that he needs to prove as well what he is saying to be true? what makes him not a liar? just because he's upper management?

Never in the 10 years working for this company had i ever had a problem like this and along comes a new manager I get fired.

Is there anything I can do?

C

CheeseBlotto

MxnDva said:
of course the "at-will" law is out there but it doesn't mean that it's legal to do that.
Actually, that's precisely what it means.

Beth3

you may say that i need to prove that my manager is lying about the allegations Even if you prove he is mistaken, or even outright lying, that will not mean the company acted unlawfully in terminating you.

well don't you think that he needs to prove as well what he is saying to be true? The law does not require him to. It is lawful to terminate someone on suspicion of misconduct.

what makes him not a liar? He may be acting hastily but presumably he is acting on information he believes to be true, even if it is inaccurate.

The sitaution may be very unfair but it is not illegal. All you can do is file for unemployment benefits and start looking for a new job right away. Good luck.

MxnDva said:
Hello all. This is my first time in this website so I hope you can help me.

I've been working for the corporate office Toyota Motor Sales in California for over 10 years. in the beginning of this year a new manager came on board and immediately knew that things were going to be different. This new manager of mine would e-mail me every day asking me about the time i came in. What time i went to lunch and what time i left for the day. i found this odd but thought nothing of it. i asked my fellow co-workers if the same things were happening to them and they said no. it got to the point that i was feeling harrassed.

Less than a month ago I was called in to get my performance review from that same manager and on my performance review he stated that i was a great employee. we're evealuated by numbers 1-5 and 5 being the best and i received 4. a few days after that i received a merit raise based on my performance and an article was written about me in the company's newspaper. A few days after that my manager called me into H.R. and terminated me. He said that other associates have "observed" me being away from my desk or I was "observed" not coming in to work and puting on my timecard as if I had worked. He went completely on observations. He couldn't show me proof to back up his allegations. As a matter of fact I wasn't given any paperwork explaining the reason I was terminated.

I got fired based on other people's "observations". I really don't understand. i asked him to bring forth the person who has told him these lies and of course he wouldn't. i also told him that i could turn around and point fingers and would that employee be let go.

of course the "at-will" law is out there but it doesn't mean that it's legal to do that. you may say that i need to prove that my manager is lying about the allegations well don't you think that he needs to prove as well what he is saying to be true? what makes him not a liar? just because he's upper management?

Never in the 10 years working for this company had i ever had a problem like this and along comes a new manager I get fired.

Is there anything I can do?
The truth shall set you free, but first you'll be pissed off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">