• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Air duct cleaning company illegally searches my closet and takes pictures...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eerelations

I did Google,

"I know falls under the "Dual party Consent" law aka Linda Tripp Law. So I know it cant be used to blackmail or etc."
Nothing is allowed to be used for blackmail - because blackmail is illegal.

Your recording is not allowed to be used in your defense. Might as well delete it. Certainly don't tell the cops about it or they will charge you with making an illegal recording. Again, best to delete it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No sir, they unlocked them.
That means that they had a key. That means that they were given said key. That means that it could be reasonably inferred that they had permission to do it.

Last edited:

CdwJava

So, what are you being charged with? An unlawful modification to a closet without a permit???

At most, you might have a complaint against the worker for trespassing ... but, the fact that you gave him a key and he was cleaning ducts and was searching for air vents - and FOUND one - sort of renders your complaint moot.

He was hired to clean the air vents by the landlord, the guy doesn't work for you. YOU may have told him where YOU wanted him to go, but his obligation was to inspect the property and the air vents for the landlord.

Moral of the story ... if you want to break the law, BUY your own place.

You Are Guilty

Your recording is not allowed to be used in your defense. Might as well delete it. Certainly don't tell the cops about it or they will charge you with making an illegal recording. Again, best to delete it.
I'm way too lazy to research the MD criminal code, but deliberately destroying evidence of a crime can fall under "evidence tampering" or "obstruction of justice" laws.

Just one more thing for our OP to be aware of :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">