• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony Back to Date of Abandonment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LolaO

Maryland

I don't have a lawyer. My STBX husband does. He left our family many months ago and hadn't provided any support, knowing that I couldn't afford to maintain our home on my income, which is new given I've only been back to work a short while. At any rate, I struggled a great deal and did not succeed in keeping ends met. By a great stroke of fate, I met someone who is also divorcing who told me about Pendete Lite support. I filed for it and was awarded spousal support and child support.

I'm leaving details out for brevity but I have two issues: 1) the hearing was in July, order just recently put in Aug. 24. The date he left was end of Sept. 06. And this is a PL award. Can they (he and his lawyer) manuever until time runs out and October 1 gives us the waiting time for an absolute divorce? 2) My friend told me I can request for alimony going back to the date of separation. How can I do this? What is it called? What would the form be called? Is this a motion I need to file? Please walk me through this.

I have an application in for pro-bono representation from the local bar association, but it will be up to six weeks before I can get an attorney assigned. They will only represent me on a limited divorce case. I feel this is absolutely necessary. I have a male judge, who while noting I needed support, was still somewhat--I feel--hostile toward me because I was unrepresented, and was cordial to my STBX husband's attorney. In his order he told me to get an attorney, and at the dispositional hearing he seemed annoyed that I still don't have one. I just don't have a clue where the money will come from. I tried and was turned down because I have no money. And my ex has said point-blank he will not pay me.

What should I do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">