• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Allstate and accident compensation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vt123

I am just trying to be fair. My son seems totally recovered. That is why I was shocked when Allstate did not take the offer to settle at $50,000. Guess I will be looking for a lawyer. Does anyone know a good one in SE Virginia?
THanks for all the help, too.

K

Kevin O'Keefe

re: lawyer in VA

What towns are close to you? I understood you were just trying to be fair and I am sure you are doing what you believe is best under the circumstances. I think you'll feel real good talking to a good lawyer. As mentioned you will get some helpful information and can then decide how best to proceed, including whether to hire the lawyer.

- Kevin

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

vt123 said:
I am just trying to be fair. My son seems totally recovered. That is why I was shocked when Allstate did not take the offer to settle at $50,000. Guess I will be looking for a lawyer. Does anyone know a good one in SE Virginia?
THanks for all the help, too.

My response:

I understand your human instinct to "want to be fair" but "being fair" has nothing to do with this matter. It has everything to do with what your son is "legally entitled" to receive for his severe injuries.

Let's take this one step further - - Allstate doesn't see it as "being fair". They see it strictly as a business transaction. If they dealt from a "human" aspect, they'd be throwing money around to everyone who makes a claim. But, as you know, they don't. They are looking at this from an economic standpoint - - their economics. They don't care what happens to your son yesterday, today or tomorrow. They're just looking at their "bottom line."

Also, don't be shocked about Allstate not accepting your underestimated offer to settle. You see, they know the value of your son's claim and have set aside a "reserve" amount in the actual value of his claim - - probably between $100 to $150K. However, at those numbers, and despite the value of your son's claim, it's worth it for them to litigate the case - - even if they eventually wind up paying in those, or some other, amounts.

The strategy is that somewhere in the litigation process they can "get rid" of the claim altogether, or cause some sort of "technicality" that would allow them to pay less on the claim. That's why they have "defense counsel" - - to look for those little "chinks" in your armor.

And, that's why you need your own attorney - - to level the playing field, and to get every penny your son is legally entitled to obtain. Yes, it may take longer to obtain, but when was the last time you made $100K in interest over 3 or 4 years (the amount of time for litigation), which is the difference between your $50K offer to settle and a potential judgment of $150K?

So, go to "the Big Spin" and try your fortune in the litigation arena, because your son's case is worth the effort.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

K

Kevin O'Keefe

Lawyer in Suffolk County

On a quick look in Suffolk County, I found only one lawyer who limited their practice soley to plaintiff's personal injury. He is Bill Kass, a member of both the VA trial lawyer's association and the Association Trial Lawyers Association. He's been representing injured people since 1978 so I think he would do a pretty nice job for you.

His contact info is 364 Crawford Street, P.O. Box 938, Portsmouth, Virginia 23705
Telephone: 757-397-7777 Fax: 757-397-3607. His e mail address is [email protected] .

Please feel free to give him my name. Sometimes mentioning another lawyer said to call causes lawyers to jump a bit faster.

Best of luck & take care.

- Kevin

L

LLG

I'm with allstate. I was rearended by a Farmers insurer last year. then i was in a pile up of a 100 cars. both myself and the other party are insured with allstate. first accident I filed pro per because no attorney would take the case. but everyone wants the pile up. debating on what to do. Insurance companies just deny all claims its easier for them, because most attorneys don't want to hassle with them anymore, waste of there time I guess, for what they have to do........ both accidents were not my fault and I got my rates increased 3X.

Last edited:

tammy8

This may be a dumb question but would an insurance company look at the fact that the passenger willingly got into a vehicle with a drunk driver and maybe this is the reason for the low offer? (Yes and I know all companies start low to begin with).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">