• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I responsible for an accident Grandson had in my car?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dmccalip

What is the name of your state - Washington

My grandson was involved in an accident while driving my uninsured car. We had had full coverage insurance on it for 11 years but was giving the car to him - insurance expired 6 days prior to accident - my insurance company refused coverage for the accident.

The other parties insurance company never contacted us after my insurance company denied coverage. Now, a collection agency is naming me in trying to collect for the accident.

Am I responsible for this debt in any way since I was not in the car when the accident occurred?

Thank you
dmccalip

dmccalip

No, he was a good driver. He was on a gravel road - going too fast and lost control. So, this was a big surprise. He just turned 18 - had taken driver's ed. We had not considered him a risk.

moburkes

Mine and my husband's name was on the title as we had not transferred the title yet.
You were responsible for carrying insurance. Why would you allow your grandson to drive your uninsured vehicle? He is responsible for irresponsible driving, but, as the owners of the vehicle, you were responsible for insuring the vehicle.

Or Not

What is the name of your state - Washington

Am I responsible for this debt in any way since I was not in the car when the accident occurred?

Thank you
dmccalip

The answer, although not what you want to hear, is yes. You (and your husband) are financially responsible (because the vehicle title is/was in your names.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">