• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ambiguity in lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

med88

What is the name of your state? Iowa

I am currently renting a house but purchased a house and will be closing on 11/16. I reviewed my lease to make sure my "timing" was correct and realized there are TWO dates specified for "end of lease". (btw... generic lease from Office Max or Office Depot).

The first date is in the very beginning of contract under TERM. It reads:

"The duration of this rental agreement shall be from the 11th day of December 2005 to and including the 10th day of December 2006."

The second date is listed at the end, it was a hand-written addendum (under "Additional Provisions") and reads:

"This agreement extends through November 30th, 2006 at which time the contract will be reviewed for revisions."

So.... when I notified landlord on 11/1 that I would not be renewing she said the contract was not up until 12/10. I disagreed since she'd written at the very end of the lease under "Additional provisions" that the contract would extend through 11/30. She said she'd have to check.

Then she said something about me needing to give a 60 day notice to move (this is not addressed anywhere in the lease - I've read the dang thing three times). I think I'm safe with this one should she try to pursue.

She knew I was wanting to buy a house and I said when I signed the lease I didn't want a lease to get in the way (she was sort of a friend... key word "was"). Atthat time, she said not a problem however, we never put that in writing/signed. (But she did acknowledge that we'd agreed on that when I gave her my notice on the first on November). Not that I might need it but this argument is weak since it's not in writing, correct?

Anyway... I heard she bought a townhome and the reason I rented her house a year ago is b/c she couldn't afford it (not doing too good in the real estate biz). So, if this is the case and now she will be minus my rent check, this could cause financial strain which normally wouldn't be my problem EXCEPT I think she will try anything and everything to get every penny out of me she can. There is no deposit so I don't have to worry about that and there has been no damage done to the house - actually I painted the mudroom/garage and cleaned it up out of my own pocket (yes - in lease I could do and she was notified properly). And yes, I have dated, digital pictures.

I am a little concerned about the lease end date since there are two dates listed. The one I used was the latter of the two in order of entry on the contract (my thinking was it would take precedence). Is this a true statement?

And, since there is no mention of a "60 day notice" or 30 days or a week,,, I can't be held liable for that, can I?

I tell you this gal is a real wiener... She wanted to rent me the house and leave all her stuff there. I said no. So she moved the big stuff. The day I showed up with the moving van, she still had all kinds of crap there - we had to just drop boxes whereever. Almost a year later, she STILL has not moved it all after promising it would be removed from the house. And she wonders why I didn't select her to be my real estate agent... dah!

Thanks for your advice... I will be glad when this tragedy is behind me!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">