• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

An online thread that I begged a forum to delete totally destroyed my life.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eerelations

I agree OP is probably a troll. But just in case he isn't:

OP, just because someone ratted you out to EDD and your employer doesn't mean it's the forum's fault that you lost your job and EDD benefits. It's your fault you lost your job, by badmouthing your employer on the internet. And it's your fault that you lost your EDD benefits, by going to Nevada.

Regarding your anonymity, no one is truly anonymous on the internet. It's not the forum's fault that someone had the tech savvy and diligence to find out who you really are, it's your fault for posting inflammatory things on a public internet board.

Regarding your family, what? You were badmouthing them too? No wonder they don't want to have anything to do with you anymore. It's not the forum's fault that your family found out how you really feel about them, it's your fault for publishing said feelings.

Finally, that forum's TOS probably states somewhere that no threads will be taken down no matter what. You agreed to this - it's not the forum's fault that you later changed your mind.

FlyingRon

Who said anything about gambling?
You were complaining about your participation in an online poker forum. You can whine about poker being a game of skill (hell I've played live and online poker and even won a few small tournaments) but the law considers them gambling.
Even if you didn't actually gamble, you were involved. You don't have to screw six year olds either, but if you participate in a pedophilia forum, people are going to draw inferences.

Eekamouse

But before I look to post a link to the thread I feel like I should explain.

A little less than 2 years ago I started a thread on an online poker forum that started out with me asking for advice. It evolved into something terrible, that totally destroyed my life. Somehow I was not anonymous at all and people began threatening me, harrassing me, etc. I continued to post in the thread mostly to defend myself.

I ended up losing my job, my EDD benefits, and my family, all because of this thread. The amount of emotional and financial pain I have suffered is unbearable. I asked them many times to delete the thread and they refused.

The thread itself still remains.

Do I have a viable case?
You were stupid to post things on that thread that your employer found offensive enough to fire you over. You were stupid to get into a online fight with strangers that got so out of hand that they came after you in your real life. How could you lose your EDD benefits from taking a trip?

nj1980

Listen

Their TOS are clear

The entire thread was allowed to remain despite it being in clear violation of their terms of service

"No personal attacks: etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">