• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Angie's list hired Contractor took $200 and not refunding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bout

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

Hello helpers,

So I hired Angie's list listed contractor to repair our refrigerator, he came and looked the part and said we need part change and we have to pay $200 advance so he can buy it and come back in 10 days and fix it. We paid cash and took receipt. It was not Angie's hourly contractor though.

And then it's been 3 months we been chasing him to get refund as looks like he won't come and fix it. But he is not willing to pay our money back. Opened case with Angie but no help at all. They said he is not listening them either and all they can do is ban him from Angie's list that all but now I am my own to get money back but he said to go to small court and get him there to pay back.

I never been to this situation before and I spent enough time on this that now I want to get this to finish line regardless so wanted to ask gurus that what can I do.

If I go and file small court case and pay fees etc. Not sure after I win can we recoup court fees from the person including our $200 I know lot to ask but if I go and spend money to get money not work it. Unless if it's small fees...

Need help for this court stuff or any other options I have.

I have all the text and chat and if needed I think angis customer care can chime in too.

Need help and advice on this.

Appreciate it

Thanks in advance

adjusterjack

You've been scammed. If you win the lawsuit you get awarded your filing and process service costs plus post judgment interest. Then good luck collecting from a fly-by-night scammer.

Might as well hire a reputable repair person who gets paid on completion of the repairs.

Bout

Thank you for reply... I know I been scammed but wanted to see if any options so I can teach that scammer lesson and also he can't dare to do with anyone else..

And Angi is not good either and not going to use it recommend anyone at all. They are helping like these scammer too..and not helping at all once this happened...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank you for reply... I know I been scammed but wanted to see if any options so I can teach that scammer lesson and also he can't dare to do with anyone else..
No, you are not going to teach the scammer any sort of lesson. Bad guys be bad, it's just the way it is.

And Angi is not good either and not going to use it recommend anyone at all. They are helping like these scammer too..and not helping at all once this happened...
Hang on - don't be so quick to blame Angi.com. The terms of service are very clear in explaining that Angi is not responsible for the conduct of the Service Provider. It's no different than when people used to pay for ads in the newspaper.

https://legal.angi.com/#contract-skmav5s0l

9. SERVICE PROVIDERS
Angi does not endorse and is not responsible or liable for any Content, data, advertising, products, goods or services available or unavailable from, or through, any third party or Service Provider (which includes, but is not limited to, health care and wellness providers). You agree that should you use or rely on such Content, data, advertisement, products, goods or services, available or unavailable from, or through any third party or Service Provider (which includes, but is not limited to, health care and wellness providers), Angi is not responsible or liable, indirectly or directly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with such use or reliance. Your dealings with, or participation in promotions of any Service Provider (which includes, but is not limited to, health care and wellness providers), and any other terms, conditions, representations or warranties associated with such dealings, are between you and such Service Provider (which includes, but is not limited to, health care and wellness providers) exclusively and do not involve Angi. You should make whatever investigation or other resources that you deem necessary or appropriate before hiring or engaging Service Providers (which includes, but is not limited to, health care and wellness providers).

(There's more, but I'll let you read it.)

I have to say that I am glad you posted this, as it has caused me to look a little closer at the terms of the service before I begin my next home project. You may find some solace in the knowledge that your posting of your situation may (and already has) caused people to be more careful.

adjusterjack

The best and only way to handle any contractor, small or large job, is to pay on completion. As long as you have the money, they will show up, do the work, correct errors, and clean up. They they get paid.

If a contractor wants money up front for materials, don't do it. Either the contractor has credit with his suppliers or you buy the materials and have them delivered to your home, where you have control over the materials and can just replace the contractor if you have to.

If it's a large job you can divide it into phases and pay a percentage when each phase is satisfactorily completed.

Any questions?

:)

quincy

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

Hello helpers,

So I hired Angie's list listed contractor to repair our refrigerator, he came and looked the part and said we need part change and we have to pay $200 advance so he can buy it and come back in 10 days and fix it. We paid cash and took receipt. It was not Angie's hourly contractor though.

And then it's been 3 months we been chasing him to get refund as looks like he won't come and fix it. But he is not willing to pay our money back. Opened case with Angie but no help at all. They said he is not listening them either and all they can do is ban him from Angie's list that all but now I am my own to get money back but he said to go to small court and get him there to pay back.

I never been to this situation before and I spent enough time on this that now I want to get this to finish line regardless so wanted to ask gurus that what can I do.

If I go and file small court case and pay fees etc. Not sure after I win can we recoup court fees from the person including our $200 I know lot to ask but if I go and spend money to get money not work it. Unless if it's small fees...

Need help for this court stuff or any other options I have.

I have all the text and chat and if needed I think angis customer care can chime in too.

Need help and advice on this.

Appreciate it

Thanks in advance
You can file a complaint and/or report a scam with South Carolina’s Department of Consumer Affairs. Here is a link:

https://www.consumer.sc.gov/consumer-resources/consumer-complaints

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">