• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Animals given wrong feed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

goats40

We received feed in with our regular feed that was not supposed to be in there and part of what they received was not even cleared for some of these animals. I found the information out threw the F.D.A. papers on the internet. We have been going threw this with the co-op's insurance since June. All the animals are damaged in one way or another. Are vet. has even explained this to the insurance company. I guess I would like some information on how I should deal with the insurance company because they said all they have to pay us for is the value of the animals. We have been building this herd for 6yrs. We lost 44 animals to this feed. Any advice is welcome. Also the co-op knew this feed was in our feed before they delivered it because there was a spillage. Can we ask for punitive damages through the insurance company?

------------------

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Well, it would be very difficult to ask for punitive damages...because it would be direct damage to you. You would have to prove this is malicious conduct in some form or another. You would need a lawyer for this.

As to the animals, typically you only get the price of the animals as originally paid. But if these animals were used for profit, you would get something like the appreciation in value of the animal or what the animals' abilities would get ya (i.e. if it was chicken or something).

You really do need to speak to an attorney about this, because there may be a class action suit out there waiting. I.e. other farmers got this bad feed too and had damage.

G

goats40

The manager of this co-op even got fired for this reason as well as others. These animals where goats used for their milk and there kids where used for selling on the easter market and for selling for breeding. There also was sheep that received this feed they also are kept for breeding and lambs went to easter market. There are a least one more person that has a claim against this co-op. WE have tests that prove these animals received this feed as well tests that prove that this was in our feed. The co-ops sample that they pulled off the truck before they even delivered this feed to us has proved it was in there. Another guy was either fired or let go for spilling this in the feed.I have been working on this paper work since April when we proved one of our goats died from this feed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">