• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another ex-roommate... police are calling me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ENASNI

okay, you're pretty much just a troll, so I'm stopping there.
I am a pretty well-dressed Troll... I borrow my rommates clothes and she shops mostly at Saks. Ahem...I always ask permission.

tranquility

soooo you won't mind if I borrow your car tonight, oh around midnight or so......I'll be back before dawn. LOL

Of course I know the police aren't going to arrest her, and no DA is going to prosecute her for borrowing someone's clothes, but it is still stealing, and she may well get her @$$ kicked next time. LOL
No, it's not stealing. Period. Because of this *fact*, the legislature made up rules regarding the very issue you speak of. The police won't arrest her, not because the "crime" is so minor, but because it is NOT a crime.

nandnor

Hey guys, maybe you remember this.

Yeah, so I didn't go in and talk to the police like people suggested. That Monday was my birthday, anyway.

The police just called me back wondering why I never came in. I told the cop that I didn't feel we had anything to discuss.

Apparently they're issuing two citations - one for trespassing, and one for criminal mischief. If I don't respond to them, they'll arrest me. Please read the OP if you don't know the situation.

What's going on, guys? What do I do? Sorry, I'm posting while upset again, so I'm freaking out.

Would this whole situation be better suited for another forum at this point... Criminal Law, maybe?

Last edited:
Per my state's law:
2909.07 Criminal mischief.
(A) No person shall:

(1) Without privilege to do so, knowingly move, deface, damage, destroy, or otherwise improperly tamper with the property of another; ...

The trespassing charge is obvious, you entered her room. But in my state, the criminal mischief usually means that something was destroyed or damaged during the trespass. They don't enforce the "moved" section of this article, or every mother would be guilty of this when she entered her teenage son's room! Are you sure you returned everything and without damage? I really can't see this being pursued by law enforcement unless something valuable was damaged or destroyed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">