• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another Interpretation Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Missouri

The Parenting Plan reads -

Clothing - Each parent shall provide the minor child with the clothing and personal effects necessary for that child to have with her for her visitation or custody periods with that particular parent.

Does this mean that neither mom or dad are obligated to send anything back and forth with the child and that they are each responsible to provide her with whatever she needs for their own time?

abstract99

OMG... What is this world coming to? What it means is that you shouldn't be depending on the other parent to cloth the child all of the time. I wouldn't turn it into a bickering match though. My ex used to be so bad that she would write her name on all of the kids clothes (what would that solve anyways? It's not like they are gonna issue a search warrent to see if I had any clothes she bought) Make sure that if at all possible that the child is returned in the same clothes they are sent over in.

CJane

justlilolme said:

Clothing - Each parent shall provide the minor child with the clothing and personal effects necessary for that child to have with her for her visitation or custody periods with that particular parent.

Does this mean that neither mom or dad are obligated to send anything back and forth with the child and that they are each responsible to provide her with whatever she needs for their own time?

Yabbut - it shouldn't be used as a 'gotcha'. My parenting plan (I'm in MO also) says something similar, though spelled out more clearly. However, it's silly to say "You can't wear your coat to dad's because it's his job to buy you one for his house." Or "I bought you those sandals - ask your dad to buy you some for his house."

My kids go to their dad's every wednesday. And every wednesday, I make sure they have their allergy medication, extra shoes, and a jacket in their backpacks. Is it my obligation? Of course not. But it is the right thing to do. Sometimes, things don't come home from Dad's house, and it requires a little reshuffling, but it's usually painless.

It is not a matter of getting anything back. As long as she has what she needs I am not concerned with what I had to pay for. It is my job as a parent. The only reason I asked because it seems so not necessary to specify that. It should be a 'DUH' kind of matter.

My ex and his wife just take ANY and EVERY opportunity to start a fight or a legal battle so I just always try to prepare myself with as much information as possible. I just didn't understand why that clause would even be in the order.

abstract99

justlilolme said:
It is not a matter of getting anything back. As long as she has what she needs I am not concerned with what I had to pay for. It is my job as a parent. The only reason I asked because it seems so not necessary to specify that. It should be a 'DUH' kind of matter.

My ex and his wife just take ANY and EVERY opportunity to start a fight or a legal battle so I just always try to prepare myself with as much information as possible. I just didn't understand why that clause would even be in the order.
For your own protection you should make sure that the "duh" information is included. I didn't think it was important with my first CO and it came back to bite me when my ex remarried and the relationship went south. You need to sit down and comprise a list of all of the things that you want included. Then you need to go through and make a list of everything that your ex is asking for. Make sure that everything is written so that there is no way to turn it in to somthing else. My ex and I agreed that when I was in the military, that if I ever got restationed, that the children would live with her during the school year. When the CO had the final draft it actually read "in the event of a relaocatio, children should live with mother during the school year". I got out of the military and a year later the ex's new hubbie got orders and the wording is what screwed me over. It should have read "in the event of fathers military relocation, children shall reside with mother during the school year" It is because of the wording that she was permitted to move. You see how the wording is important?

LdiJ

justlilolme said:

Yes...what this means is that only the child is supposed to go back and forth between homes for visitation/parenting time....the parents are supposed to each provide for the child's needs in terms of clothing, personal effects, toys etc. on their time.

Of course that doesn't mean that the parents shouldn't allow the child to carry back and forth things that are important to the child....but it basically means that no bags are to be packed.

However it also means that both parents have an obligation to return clothing etc., that belongs to the other household. However that normally shouldn't be a big deal if both parents are following the order....and behaving with common courtesy.

Ron1347

My son and former daughter-in-law have it that way to. The mother is required to be responsible for all transport for visitations, and when she picks the boys up, they are sent by my son in the worst clothes the boys own. And those clothes are what they are returned in. 'Nothing' else (in the way of clothing) is sent either way. Even if it is 'winter', the mother picks the boys up, while bringing 'her own' winter coat, boots, hats, gloves, for the boys to put on before leaving. If they 'meet' away from son's home, the boys must remove their winter garments and switch to the winter garments that the mother brings. Aside from the pants, shirt, socks, underwear, and shoes from the father's home, that is all the boys take to the visitation with the mother. Stupid and sad, but is the way it is! When I'm not disgusted by it, I honestly lmao about it. It's hilarious, but it isn't. And I just sit back and shake my head.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
And I thought *my* ex was bad! At least he allows the kids to bring their winter coats, gloves, hats! It's everything else that he won't allow. What does make me laugh, though, is that he'll allow them to bring stuff home from his house. They're just not allowed to bring anything from here, there. (I do mean *any*thing.)

LdiJ

stealth2 said:
And I thought *my* ex was bad! At least he allows the kids to bring their winter coats, gloves, hats! It's everything else that he won't allow. What does make me laugh, though, is that he'll allow them to bring stuff home from his house. They're just not allowed to bring anything from here, there. (I do mean *any*thing.)
What happens when your daughter starts carrying a purse? Is he going to object to that too?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
LdiJ said:
What happens when your daughter starts carrying a purse? Is he going to object to that too?
She already does - at home. She's not willing to see what the reaction would be if she took it to Dad's at this point. And frankly, neither am I. LOL I'm still in shock over the sanitary pads flying around the yard from last summer!

LdiJ

stealth2 said:
She already does - at home. She's not willing to see what the reaction would be if she took it to Dad's at this point. And frankly, neither am I. LOL I'm still in shock over the sanitary pads flying around the yard from last summer!
He is definitely way over the top of the "wierdness" scale. :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">