• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another medical support question, but not for me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

qurice

What is the name of your state? TX

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding Medicaid.

A friend of the family is currently going through a divorce. There is a temporary order in place Dad being the NCP and Mom is the CP. Dad was ordered to provide medical coverage for their son. He runs his own business so he doesn't have an employer, so he purchased a private plan in December to comply with the court order.

Recently Mom discovered he only paid the first months premium and the policy lapsed in the end of Dec. Dad has applied for Medicaid for his son.

Question #1: Since Mom is the CP, shouldn't she be the one applying? I thought Medicaid looked at income of the home where the child resides. If Dad obtains Medicaid coverage for him, did he have to lie (fraud) to get it?

Question #2: If Mom applies, who's incomes will be looked at? Dad was allowed to stay in the marital home until things are finalized. She and her son are staying a friend's home. Since she is staying with a non-relative will they want to look at their incomes also?

Thank you.

nextwife

Just curious: if dad's always been self employed, who was carrying the children on their insurance BEFORE? If mom, I wonder why that would not have been continued (as the wife of a self employed guy, that's how we've always handled it) and an appropriate reimbursement adjustment given to mom for her share of the cost.

qurice

Just curious: if dad's always been self employed, who was carrying the children on their insurance BEFORE? If mom, I wonder why that would not have been continued (as the wife of a self employed guy, that's how we've always handled it) and an appropriate reimbursement adjustment given to mom for her share of the cost.
I think Dad is trying to get Medicaid coverage to keep Mom from taking him to court over it, and to keep his low CS payment since he's ordered to pay for the medical.

To my knowledge, neither mom, dad or child have had continuous health coverage. I know that at one point she had Medicaid for a short while when the son had to have a medical procedure.

fairisfair

dad would have had to list the child as residing with him, there is no other way, at least not to my knowledge.

Tell her to call both Social services as well as CSE and apprise them of what is going on.

ceara19

I think Dad is trying to get Medicaid coverage to keep Mom from taking him to court over it, and to keep his low CS payment since he's ordered to pay for the medical.

To my knowledge, neither mom, dad or child have had continuous health coverage. I know that at one point she had Medicaid for a short while when the son had to have a medical procedure.
DAD can't get medicaid for the child without committing fraud. Even if the child does get medicaid coverage, his child support will be subject to change if they deducted a high dollar insurance premium that he is no longer paying. If mom is going through CSE, she shouldn't expect much from them in the way of help getting dad to provide insurance.

MOM needs to apply for medicaid or CHIPS for the child, based on her income with child support. Coverage will not excuse dad from providing ADDITIONAL private insurance, to be used as primary, when/if reasonably priced coverage becomes available. However, in the meantime, she needs to DEMAND a child support review, based on the fact that dad fraudulently and intentionally purchased high dollar insurance coverage for the sole purpose of lowering his monthly child support obligation, only to let the coverage lapse as soon as the court order was issued. The Judge is going to be VERY unhappy with dad and may very well make the higher payments retroactive to the date he allowed the insurance to lapse if mom goes about things the right way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">