• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another red light camera injustice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catsrcoolguy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California, Ventura, re; intersection of California Street and Thompson Blvd.

This is a newly installed camera system at an intersection that by it's traffic flow is more likely to garner these type of citations rather than for safety reasons. Also the timing involved here is 1/15th of a second over the first crosswalk line after the light turned from yellow to red, which I believe is too close to expect anyone or any vehicle to be able to stop in time for. My driving history is clean, and I have made this turn (let's say average only once per week that I've lived in the area - since 1987) 1,144 times... with no problem until now.

The citation came in the mail as a shocking surprise, as I do not recall this or any close calls where I thought I might have failed to stop when I could have. Indeed my photo (courtesy Photonotice based in Arizona) shows me as a calm, confident attentive driver, looking where I'm going, safe and same distance from car ahead of me as he is from the car ahead of him) not speeding up, not concerned that I'm doing anything illegal or unsafe... which I don't.

My speed was 15mph at the line and through the intersection. The yellow light time (I went back to film it) is the minimal 3 seconds, though the cross street is 4 seconds. The traffic flow preceding this intersection is inherently problematic (bridge, tight turns, short distance from freeway offramp to intersection, only one "photo" sign posted (angled toward offramp), unusual right of way rules that people are often confused by, frustrating local drivers who also can be made to wait on the bridge for the right to proceed to even get to said intersection for as many as 6 signal cycles... then once they do are eager to get through the intersection and get on with life. I never speed here and don't see people speeding, but this light is quick and can and does result in many people crossing the line when the light turns from yellow to red. I have never seen an accident or close call here, so I believe all these factors inclined the city to install the system where it would gain the most revenue. Indeed my citation is $496 + traffic school cost. I am not only outraged, I am not able to afford it. I am on disability and this financial punishment only teaches me that the city is willing to take 3 months worth of food out of my mouth for an infraction that was humanly impossible to avoid. The accepted response/vehicle stop calculation at my speed is about 15 ft. Had I responded and reacted when I could have, my car would have been in the intersection, a hazard to everyone in front, to the side and behind me. But again, I do not recall it as running a red light... I myself hate when people keep coming in left turn lanes and I do not and am sure I did not impede or risk anyone's progress.

After this automated ticket I am inclined to never do business in that city again, let alone leave the house. If I drive, I fear I will tend to slam on my brakes at any camera intersection when I see a yellow, risking rear end collision to my car. This was a no win situation, didn't teach me anything positive and I don't know how to fight it confidently... I suffer from PTSD and depression and am panic stricken to leave the house at all, let alone face a court proceeding. Can anyone here help with advice? Thanks.

P.S. The only action I've taken is to seek help on the internet, go film the intersection lights and file for an extension online with the court (they gave an additional month). So the "infraction" was Feb 25, I received it in the mail Mar 3, original order to appear was Mar 30, then moved to Apr27.

Last edited:

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California, Ventura, re; intersection of California Street and Thompson Blvd.

This is a newly installed camera system at an intersection that by it's traffic flow is more likely to garner these type of citations rather than for safety reasons. Also the timing involved here is 1/15th of a second over the first crosswalk line after the light turned from yellow to red, which I believe is too close to expect anyone or any vehicle to be able to stop in time for. My driving history is clean, and I have made this turn (let's say average only once per week that I've lived in the area - since 1987) 1,144 times... with no problem until now.

The citation came in the mail as a shocking surprise, as I do not recall this or any close calls where I thought I might have failed to stop when I could have. Indeed my photo (courtesy Photonotice based in Arizona) shows me as a calm, confident attentive driver, looking where I'm going, safe and same distance from car ahead of me as he is from the car ahead of him) not speeding up, not concerned that I'm doing anything illegal or unsafe... which I don't.

My speed was 15mph at the line and through the intersection. The yellow light time (I went back to film it) is the minimal 3 seconds, though the cross street is 4 seconds. The traffic flow preceding this intersection is inherently problematic (bridge, tight turns, short distance from freeway offramp to intersection, only one "photo" sign posted (angled toward offramp), unusual right of way rules that people are often confused by, frustrating local drivers who also can be made to wait on the bridge for the right to proceed to even get to said intersection for as many as 6 signal cycles... then once they do are eager to get through the intersection and get on with life. I never speed here and don't see people speeding, but this light is quick and can and does result in many people crossing the line when the light turns from yellow to red. I have never seen an accident or close call here, so I believe all these factors inclined the city to install the system where it would gain the most revenue. Indeed my citation is $496 + traffic school cost. I am not only outraged, I am not able to afford it. I am on disability and this financial punishment only teaches me that the city is willing to take 3 months worth of food out of my mouth for an infraction that was humanly impossible to avoid. The accepted response/vehicle stop calculation at my speed is about 15 ft. Had I responded and reacted when I could have, my car would have been in the intersection, a hazard to everyone in front, to the side and behind me. But again, I do not recall it as running a red light... I myself hate when people keep coming in left turn lanes and I do not and am sure I did not impede or risk anyone's progress.

After this automated ticket I am inclined to never do business in that city again, let alone leave the house. If I drive, I fear I will tend to slam on my brakes at any camera intersection when I see a yellow, risking rear end collision to my car. This was a no win situation, didn't teach me anything positive and I don't know how to fight it confidently... I suffer from PTSD and depression and am panic stricken to leave the house at all, let alone face a court proceeding. Can anyone here help with advice? Thanks.
Wow, you suffer from PTSD, depression and panic attacks and yet the camera depicts a "a calm, confident attentive driver, looking where I'm going." You're lucky they caught you on a good day:).

Catsrcoolguy

Obviously NOT a good day

That I was calm and collected during the "alleged" risky action I think suggests more so that I was not in a position of peril or risk. :cool: I am more inclined than others to avoid risk and to be safe. :) The citation on the other hand is having a profound negative effect. :eek::(:mad::confused:

Antigone*

That I was calm and collected during the "alleged" risky action I think suggests more so that I was not in a position of peril or risk. :cool: I am more inclined than others to avoid risk and to be safe. :) The citation on the other hand is having a profound negative effect. :eek::(:mad::confused:
Put things in perspective my friend. It is a ticket... you are not being charged with murder. Now that would be profound.

Catsrcoolguy

Perspective

Put things in perspective my friend. It is a ticket... you are not being charged with murder. Now that would be profound.
I appreciate perspective, and my perspective in addition to the objections I stated is that you just made an insensitive, ignorant, unhelpful remark intended to get you a laugh. If you are a troll or a flamer, you should review the board rules and or be addressed by the moderator. You may not understand first hand how it is to be hanging on by a thread, but that doesn't give you the go ahead to attack decent people who are and can't stop you, just as the city is doing to me. Insensitivity, inciting a flame war in a forum where someone is asking nicely for help is not just a kick for you, it's rude, uncalled for, mean, unproductive, (did I say against the rules?) and wastes more of my time and patience having to address it. But odds are you're just getting a kick out of this response. Look wise guy, I can't just shrug it off and pay the ticket. It may as well be a murder case.
Does anyone have any productive advice about the case please? Thanks.:)

Last edited:

I_Got_Banned

I appreciate perspective, and my perspective in addition to the objections I stated is that you just made an insensitive, ignorant, unhelpful remark intended to get you a laugh. If you are a troll or a flamer, you should review the board rules and or be addressed by the moderator. You may not understand first hand how it is to be hanging on by a thread, but that doesn't give you the go ahead to attack decent people who are and can't stop you, just as the city is doing to me. Insensitivity, inciting a flame war in a forum where someone is asking nicely for help is not just a kick for you, it's rude, uncalled for, mean, unproductive, (did I say against the rules?) and wastes more of my time and patience having to address it. But odds are you're just getting a kick out of this response. Look wise guy, I can't just shrug it off and pay the ticket. It may as well be a murder case.
Sir, it would benefit everyone on here, you included, if you would calm down. If Wirelessany1's two short comments got to you enough to leave you hanging on by a thread... :eek: Strap yourself down. Regardless of how "unguilty" you are, there will be conflicting opinions and maybe even a bit of uneeded rhetoric...

With that being said, let me ask you a question about the timing for the traffic light where you were cited. You stated:

The yellow light time (I went back to film it) is the minimal 3 seconds, though the cross street is 4 seconds.
What is the speed limit on both of these streets?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Personally, I think he likely WAS guilty. The time for you to slow down/stop was when the light turned YELLOW! You were only going 15 mph, you should have been able to stop with ease in the 3 seconds allotted.

Now, with that said...
Does your ticket have the phrase "do not contact the court about this ticket" (or something similar) printed on it?

Catsrcoolguy

Guilty?

Personally, I think he likely WAS guilty. The time for you to slow down/stop was when the light turned YELLOW! You were only going 15 mph, you should have been able to stop with ease in the 3 seconds allotted.

Now, with that said...
Does your ticket have the phrase "do not contact the court about this ticket" (or something similar) printed on it?
In California it is not expressed as illegal to enter an intersection on a yellow light... it is commonplace. Yellow does not mean stop... only that red is next. Dare I say most yellow lights are not 3 seconds, because when I went back and watched it for an hour, it did seem slightly quick... quicker than I feel it has been in all the years I've lived here. Sometimes you don't notice something until you're looking for it. In this particular intersection one is also pressed to keep the traffic flowing because of the backup and horn honking you sometimes hear back where you were sitting and waiting just to get in a short line to go through the intersection. If you don't know the intersection, you can't really snap "guilty". Look it up on google maps.

Catsrcoolguy

Thanks Maestro64

The person who runs this cite is the de-facto expert on this subject, anything anyone here says it just conjectures at this point. This guys known everything there is to know about RLCs. Go read what he has to say and if you have questions ask him.

Home - Fighting Red Light Camera Tickets
This was one of if not the first site I ran across, and I agree it has info and links. Short of hiring an attorney, I think I need to find anyone who's familiar with this particular intersection and cases associated with it, if I'm going to make a decent not guilty plea. I think I'm not allowed to be represented in court for a traffic infraction either. Even if I were to get a windfall to cover the citation cost, I'll get higher insurance rates. I'm paying only $500/yr now (AAA) but they may double it, I dunno. I've had a run of bad luck lately and have no reason to believe it's going to change.

Catsrcoolguy

Legit

Now, with that said...
No, the ticket's legitimate... I checked all that stuff. Also when I went to the Superior Court website to get the extension, the citation was there or I wouldn't have gotten the extension. Thanks anyway.

Jim_bo

Very good point. There are those on this site who think EVERYONE is guilty... even before they have a trial. It's like communist china here sometimes.

So... there have been two questions asked that are important: what are the speed limits on each road and does your ticket say anything like "don't contact the court"?

Maestro64

This was one of if not the first site I ran across, and I agree it has info and links. Short of hiring an attorney, I think I need to find anyone who's familiar with this particular intersection and cases associated with it, if I'm going to make a decent not guilty plea. I think I'm not allowed to be represented in court for a traffic infraction either. Even if I were to get a windfall to cover the citation cost, I'll get higher insurance rates. I'm paying only $500/yr now (AAA) but they may double it, I dunno. I've had a run of bad luck lately and have no reason to believe it's going to change.
You can have a lawyer fight it for you, There are all kinds of lawyers in CA that fight traffic tickets all the time. Plus if you read there has been a number of high profile RLC cases these towns and cities got themselves in trouble for violating the CA laws is the use of RCLs. These towns and cities know they are wrong and continue to collect money. They will do so until the state or courts shut them downs. I know in the few locations in CA they stop use these because everyone fought them and the town was losing money verse making money.

I was recently out in CA and I watch the few of these cameras in action. At one intersection it was snapping pictures when the light turned red even though no car proceeded into the intersect. It look like it was trying to catch someone who entered on yellow but did not clear before it turned red. It also snap pictures of people doing right on red even thou the car stop and then proceeded. It was at night, I could see the flash going off and I knew exactly what it was doing.

Last edited:

Catsrcoolguy

Thanks again Maestro64, appreciated

You can have a lawyer fight it for you, There are all kinds of lawyers in CA that fight traffic tickets all the time. Plus if you read there has been a number of high profile RLC cases these towns and cities got themselves in trouble for violating the CA laws is the use of RCLs. These towns and cities know they are wrong and continue to collect money. They will do so until the state or courts shut them downs. I know in the few locations in CA they stop use these because everyone fought them and the town was losing money verse making money.

I was recently out in CA and I watch the few of these cameras in action. At one intersection it was snapping pictures when the light turned red even though no car proceeded into the intersect. It look like it was trying to catch someone who entered on yellow but did not clear before it turned red. It also snap pictures of people doing right on red even thou the car stop and then proceeded. It was at night, I could see the flash going off and I knew exactly what it was doing.
I too noticed a number of "violations" or too close to calls at the intersection when I went back to film it. If the camera photographed the cars that appeared to cross the line just as the yellow changed to red... Ventura is raking in millions. Mind you, these cars are going about 15 mph, not presenting a hazard to anyone, even when they clear the intersection oncoming traffic is yet to be signaled to go (crosswalk sign still red). I also looked at where the vehicle triggers are installed under the pavement - one about 6 ft back from the line and another about 12 ft. It really seems more intended to catch "violators" at the line rather than in the intersection. Also, this is a two lane left turn and the camera is quite a distance back (200 ft?). While it's sufficient to see if a car is apparently over the line when the light changes, I wonder why they don't have one at the line? Also, vehicles in left turn lane #2 can be obscured from the rear camera by those in lane #1, so there's an inconsistency; being that the 2 lane vehicle takes longer to make said turn, you'd think (if safety were the main concern) that they'd be sure to "catch" those vehicles. This thing stinks more as I look at it. I've seen systems suspiciously removed before, and I won't be surprised if this one becomes a newsworthy controversy. I wonder if I should submit a letter to the local paper, they might be collecting a lot now that this one is raping the public. This is a small town but rife with professional businesspeople (I used to do on site computer service). If I weren't so intimidated by authority, I might have enjoyed becoming a lawyer I think. I appreciate airing this here, but I'll be unable sleep for the next 7 weeks. I can't even charge the bail amount or pay an attorney as I have no saving or credit. I even considered serving time in jail but I have to stay home to also take care of my mother who can't care for herself (I'm her conservator and she's gravely disabled, dementia, not ambulatory, can't afford outside care, etc.). I really feel screwed.

Last edited:

Catsrcoolguy

TixNix?

Has anyone used, familiar with and can recommend the TixNix or other services shown on this forum? I've inquired of another online where they wanted $299 up front. I expect to pay for service if I need it, but I would prefer to be coached and try to handle it myself. I think if I request Trial by Written Declaration, that leaves me an opportunity for an appeal, whereas if I appear in court it's "one bite of the apple". That's the kind of basic advice I'm looking for, as well as how to obtain information from public agencies. Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">