• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Appropriate steps?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GabeT

What is the name of your state? California

I've decided to divorce my wife. She's become erratic and self-destructive and her behavior is now starting to seriously affect our finances and the peace within the household - to put it nicely.

What steps would you recommend that a man take to help ensure that the soon-to-be "ex" is unable to further destroy the joint finances (credit, etc) and to not be able to "steal" (that's the best way I can describe it) our household belongings in order to support her destructive behavior?

I acknowledge that she should get her own belongings and what we eventually decide to split between the two of us, but she's already started selling things we have (on ebay), including some of our son's belongings, and disappearing with the money made.

I would like to stay at our current residence, as it has very reasonable rent and would keep my son in the same good school and near the friends he has made there over the years.

How can I legally push her out of our apartment (without having to move myself) and ensure that she is not allowed to enter without my consent?

I know custody will eventually need to be dealt with and I want him to primarily live with me at my apartment with liberal amounts of time with his mom. I don't want her out of his life, just no longer in a position to disrupt his life and well being. She isn't abusing him, but she pays him little or no attention the little time she's at home. She doesn't work and no longer attends school, yet she's always out with friends.

We're both 32 and my son is 10 (in case age matters).

Thank you for any advice you can provide!

Gabe

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">