• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrest Warrant - Hiding for 1 year - wants to turn himself in

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulat

What is the name of your state? MD

A friend of mine had a court date for a suspended license. He did not show and they issued a warrent for his arrest. It has been a year and now he wants to turn himself in and get his life straightened out. Will he need an attorney? Will they throw him in jail? He is scared and this is why he hasn't turned himself in yet - but i keep telling him that the longer he waits, the more trouble he will be in.

outonbail

What is a court date for a suspended license?

Do you know what the actual code number was for the charges he was facing?
If the original charges did not include jail time, he probably will not receive jail time if he appears voluntarily to get the issue resolved.
If he's picked up on the warrant he will be brought to jail until he posts bail or gets to see a judge.
But without knowing what it was he failed to appear for, it's hard to guess what he's facing.

paulat

The bench warrant was issued for not appearing in court for a suspended license which was suspended for non-payment of child support.

outonbail

I still don't understand what he failed to appear in court for. When you say for a suspended license, are you implying he was caught "driving on a suspended" license, which was suspended for failure to pay support?

Because they don't need to call you into court to suspend your license for failure to pay child support. The DA can simply issue the order and they will notify you by mail. In fact, you are usually notified by the child support services at least thirty days ahead of time that your license will be suspended on such and such a date, if you do not pay a specified amount before that date. If there was a hearing to see if he had a legitimate reason to contest the suspension and he didn't show up, I would think it would simply result in his license being suspended. If there was a bench warrant issued, it was probably for something other than failing to appear just so they could tell him his license was suspended.

So what was he charged with and how did he receive the court date to begin with, in other words, how was he notified that he was supposed to appear in court, when he decided not to show up? Summons, subpoena, citation, read about it in a newspaper?

paulat

1. friend has not caught up on payments. he hasn't been working for the past year.

2. he says he didn't know his license was suspended until an officer pulled him over for a broken tail light.

3. he went to court awhile back and he had like 30 days or something to pay his back child support until his next court date. his next court date came around, he was still unemployed and did not pay any back support, so he was scared and just didn't show up for his court date. this then caused the bench warrent.

paulat

1. why am i so concerned? because he is my friend and boyfriend and i want him to get his life together.

2. if he has an attorney - will he still have to go to jail or would they set bond?

sjmjuly

1. why am i so concerned? because he is my friend and boyfriend and i want him to get his life together.

2. if he has an attorney - will he still have to go to jail or would they set bond?

First and foremost he needs to make arrangements to catch up on the child support. I would guess that if he doesn't have money for the child support, he probably doesn't have money for an attorney. I personally think it's always beneficial to have an attorney when going before a judge, but others may disagree with me. Jail time? That will be up to the judge, and his decision may influenced by what your boyfriend has done to remedy the situation beforehand.

moburkes

This is none of your business. This website is to be used to give advice. If you need to gossip, write to Dear Abbey,,,,,,
Nothing that he posted is my business. The question that I asked the OP isn't your business, but that didn't stop you from doling out advice, now did it?:rolleyes:

I don't need to write Dear Abbey. But, thanks for the referral, just in case.

outonbail

1. friend has not caught up on payments. he hasn't been working for the past year.

2. he says he didn't know his license was suspended until an officer pulled him over for a broken tail light.
OK, this is what I figured. He was to appear on a citation for driving on a suspended license. I don't have the time to research Maryland child support laws or the requirements for notification when the state suspends someone's driving privileges. I do know that in my state, California, the person has to be aware of the fact that their license is suspended before they can be charged with driving on a suspended. Now I imagine your boyfriend knew it was coming and maybe even knew it was suspended. However, if your state requires him to be served notice of the suspension, (which I believe is probably the case, but don't take it to the bank) then he could have beat the driving on a suspended charge had he appeared and the state couldn't show proof of notification. This would most likely have been done by certified or registered mail, where your boyfriend would have had to sign for the letter from the department of motor vehicles.
Now when he was pulled over, the officer making the stop would have served him notice at the time he was stopped and possibly even had him sign something to that regards. This would have been separate from the citation he signed. Anyway, after that stop, he would no longer be able to claim he wasn't aware of his driving privileges being suspended.

3. he went to court awhile back and he had like 30 days or something to pay his back child support until his next court date. his next court date came around, he was still unemployed and did not pay any back support, so he was scared and just didn't show up for his court date. this then caused the bench warrent.
Well your talking about two separate things here. The failure to appear on the driving on suspended, is going to generate a bench warrant. As far as what the judge was going to do if he didn't make his payments on back support I couldn't say. He'd be the one to ask.

Now as far as going to jail. I would guess that if he appeared in court with enough money to make a substantial dent to wards what he is in arrears on child support, that he could avoid spending time in jail. No one makes any money sitting in jail and the judge knows this. So if he were to go in with money and possibly proof of employment to show he can make his monthly payments, then he'll probably be OK. If he goes in with no money, no job and another song and dance routine, then he probably needs to go to jail.

All these problems revolve around his failure to pay support. Hence, all these troubles can go away if he pays what he owes. This is really what the court is after and something he shouldn't be forced into doing anyway. After all, he made the babies, why is he running from them now?

As a side note, I hope your taking a good look at his lack of concern and failure to be there for his child(ren) and consider this before you make the same mistake his last partner made....
You shouldn't have to be holding this guy's hand and leading him to the fountain of responsibility, he should man up and find it on his own!

sjmjuly

Nothing that he posted is my business. The question that I asked the OP isn't your business, but that didn't stop you from doling out advice, now did it?:rolleyes:

I don't need to write Dear Abbey. But, thanks for the referral, just in case.
You're welcome. Maybe Abbey can help you. But I doubt it,,,,,,

moburkes

You're welcome. Maybe Abbey can help you. But I doubt it,,,,,,
You'd probably want to spell her name right. I suppose a grammar and/or spelling class or two would be appropriate for you. Many places offer them free of charge for people who haven't graduated from high school. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">