• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Artist Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thirteenknots

I am an artist in Colorado. I want to be able to sell my original pieces and still make and still sell prints. Can i do this and how?

FlyingRon

Yes, unless you specifically did the work as a "work for hire" or otherwise assigned your rights to the purchaser, the copyright remains with you. You can sell prints (or reprodcutions or photots of sculpture, etc....) all you want and the purchaser IS NOT allowed to do so without your permission.

The Occultist

Once the work is created, the work is automatically covered by copyright law to yourself. You may, if you choose, register each work individually so as to receive some added protections.

To reiterate: registering your work under copyright is not explicitly necessary, but there is definitely nothing wrong with doing so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">