• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

As a passenger, not showing id but asking why they need it.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?North Carolina
Is it a crime to not show ID as a passenger in a car in N.C.?
A blind man doesnt show ID when asked to, instead asks why. Never getting an answer as to why he doesnt give up his ID. He is violently arrested. When he shows up to court is denied entry with his assist devices then arrested for FTA and was sent to a maximum state prison and it cost 50,000.00 CASH to bond him out. He was then forced to go to court without any of his digital assist devices and was convicted and sentenced to 12 months probation, community service (Again he is a blind veteran) and has to write a letter of apology to the arresting officer. THere is video of everything. Help me understand how this is within the legal limits of the law. And yes they are looking for a new lawyer i am helping them try to find one from outside rockingham county N.C. From what I have found researching he committed no crime so how the hell was he convicted of one? need new lawyer from outside that county.

Just Blue

A blind man doesnt show ID when asked to, instead asks why. Never getting an answer as to why he doesnt give up his ID. He is violently arrested. When he shows up to court is denied entry with his assist devices then arrested for FTA and was sent to a maximum state prison and it cost 50,000.00 CASH to bond him out. He was then forced to go to court without any of his digital assist devices and was convicted and sentenced to 12 months probation, community service (Again he is a blind veteran) and has to write a letter of apology to the arresting officer. THere is video of everything. Help me understand how this is within the legal limits of the law. And yes they are looking for a new lawyer i am helping them try to find one from outside rockingham county N.C. From what I have found researching he committed no crime so how the hell was he convicted of one? need new lawyer from outside that county.
This site doesn't provide attorney referrals and doesn't allow attorney's to troll looking for clients. You can call the N.C. Bar association for several attorneys to consult with. https://www.ncbar.org/

I would encourage the accused, his family, friends and random interested parties to NOT post on the internet about his criminal charges. The accused should not talk to anyone other than his attorney regarding his criminal issue.

westside

In general in North Carolina, a passenger in a traffic stop is not required to show ID or otherwise identify him/herself. The specifics of the situation can completely change the answer (for instance, was it a traffic stop or a different kind of encounter).

FlyingRon

NC man should have had an attorney. The issue of whether he was required to show ID or not is moot at this point. Since he's been convicted, the actions do not start there. At this point, there's going to have to show that the trial was defective (possibly because of lack of assistance for the disability). There's little you can do other than help him find an attorney. You are not, and even with the assistance of this forum, you can not act as one.

To narrow down your search on the NCBar site start here: https://www.ncbar.org/public-resources/find-an-nc-lawyer/

Last edited:

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I watched the video. Well, okay, I got bored after 9 minutes. Your friend and his wife were unreasonable. They were parked in a parking lot of a church in the dark, which looked suspicious. At the very least trespassing. When the police observe or get reports of suspicious behavior, they have grounds to investigate. When you choose to make a point rather than comply with reasonable requests, bad things can happen. Calling the sheriff's office to beg for help because of the "mean" uniformed officer asking for id was just... bad.

Your friend knew that the "digital assist devices" would not be allowed in the court house and brought them anyway, even though he was informed that it would be considered criminal contempt if he made it in with the "digital assist devices". He was not allowed in because he insisted on bringing these devices, so he had a FTA.

I think that your friend and his wife should listen to competent legal council and spend less time online in forums and blogs. You are all sadly misinformed about legal issues.

Last edited:

quincy

If your friends were just in the church parking lot to play PokemonGo, that would have been a simple thing for them to tell the officer as your friend’s wife handed over her driver’s license. The whole incident could have ended then and there.

I don’t think the officers were being unreasonable.

Your friend should find a criminal defense attorney to assist. I agree with Red that blogs and Facebook and legal forums are not what your friend needs.

NC man should have had an attorney. The issue of whether he was required to show ID or not is moot at this point. Since he's been convicted, the actions do not start there. At this point, there's going to have to show that the trial was defective (possibly because of lack of assistance for the disability). There's little you can do other than help him find an attorney. You are not, and even with the assistance of this forum, you can not act as one.

To narrow down your search on the NCBar site start here: https://www.ncbar.org/public-resources/find-an-nc-lawyer/
He did, I believe he was related to one of the officers or the judge. of course I know this and dont even pretend to know more than what google tells me. He is a personal friend who has asked me to help him find answers and professional help, since his lawyer was clearly part of the good ole boys club of that county.

If your friends were just in the church parking lot to play PokemonGo, that would have been a simple thing for them to tell the officer as your friend’s wife handed over her driver’s license. The whole incident could have ended then and there.

Your friend should find a criminal defense attorney to assist. I agree with Red that blogs and Facebook and legal forums are not what your friend needs.
He had an attorney that he paid for. He was a joke.

He did have an attorney,

FlyingRon

Well, he needs to consult that one or a different one. Having looked at the other information that has come to light on this, my answer still holds. Before he can argue whether he was obliged to show ID or not, he needs to resolve the issue of his conviction, and it may already be TOO LATE to do that. Appeals must be started within 60 days.

He had one

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
He did, I believe he was related to one of the officers or the judge. of course I know this and dont even pretend to know more than what google tells me. He is a personal friend who has asked me to help him find answers and professional help, since his lawyer was clearly part of the good ole boys club of that county.
More likely, your friend acted against the advice of his "good ole boy" lawyer and suffered the consequences.

It is actually better to have a lawyer familiar with a particular court and judge, because if the lawyer is savvy he/she has an idea of what will fly with the judge... and what will annoy the judge.

In general in North Carolina, a passenger in a traffic stop is not required to show ID or otherwise identify him/herself. The specifics of the situation can completely change the answer (for instance, was it a traffic stop or a different kind of encounter).
The cop said in court that it was a consensual encounter in court, before then it was because they got a call, but public info proved that to be a lie.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">