• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Asked to falsify documents after termination??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

commentator

She needs to go on and file for her unemployment immediately, you don't need a legal consult for that.

I agree, trying to create a fraudulent document (by demanding a signature) that will later be presented to the unemployment office to try keep a person from receiving benefits isn't illegal, just dishonest and unethical. If they sign it (for example because the company is holding a severance package hostage) that's up to them, though they may sign it and then go down and file for benefits and still be approved to draw unemployment.

I've seen statements where in order to receive their severance package, the employee agreed NOT to sign up for their unemployment benefits. These are not kosher, and in no way binding. Like a disclaimer "I agree not to sue" or something. They just are there to keep people from thinking they can sue anyhow, or file for unemployment.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
She needs to go on and file for her unemployment immediately, you don't need a legal consult for that.

I agree, trying to create a fraudulent document (by demanding a signature) that will later be presented to the unemployment office to try keep a person from receiving benefits isn't illegal, just dishonest and unethical. If they sign it (for example because the company is holding a severance package hostage) that's up to them, though they may sign it and then go down and file for benefits and still be approved to draw unemployment.

I've seen statements where in order to receive their severance package, the employee agreed NOT to sign up for their unemployment benefits. These are not kosher, and in no way binding. Like a disclaimer "I agree not to sue" or something. They just are there to keep people from thinking they can sue anyhow, or file for unemployment.
Why would a disclaimer agreeing not to sue not be kosher? :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">