• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assault & Battery PI Suit - please reply ASAP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

commentator

Agree. And you stay out of their way, and using reasonable caution, checking things out carefully, go about your life as though they weren't there. Keep your cell phones with you at all times, and if you feel the slightest bit of confrontation brewing, call 911.

Find another hobby. Yes, believe it or not, moving away isn't an unreasonable idea. You have all these little songs playing in your head about "standing your ground" and "fighting for your rights" and "I want JUSTICE" but in reality, fighting with your neighbors is a poor excuse for a hobby. "The feud is back on!" is most usually done by trashy people in bad places.

If these people have no respect for the law, then they will not be controlled by the law. Obviously, if they beat you up in front of cameras, they're not only mean but stupid, a wonderful combination, and that's something you don't want to waste a lot of your energy fighting against. They won't change. The situation will escalate if you give them anything to work with. But it sometimes happens when there's no push back that people like this get bored and move on.

I have seen a lot of pitiful people severely hurt by other people against whom they had an order of protection. A piece of paper doesn't keep you safe unless the person or persons it applies to have respect for the law and fear of what they have to lose. People who don't have much to lose are the ones who have the least respect for the law and its orders of protection and threats of incarceration. It's not that they're too stupid to understand, they really don't mind. It has probably happened to them before, and they don't care.

Against this, with middle class morals and value system and accumulation of things you're proud of, like your home, your car, your driver's license, your possessions, your good job, your good reputation with friends and family, you cannot compete. They know you won't shoot them, because you respect the law and don't want to go to jail. So you have no bluff. And they know you can't collect, even if you sue them and get a judgment, because they'll spend as long as it takes keeping you from getting their assets, and they probably know every trick of that trade much better than you do.

Don't sue. Stay out of their way. Do not try to bluff them. Call the police if there's any problem. Do not agitate in any way. Consider relocating! Really!

Last edited:

TigerD

Oh for crying out loud.

1. A lawsuit for damages isn't about standing up for yourself - it is about money. You were damaged and you want to be made whole.
2. The considerations that you have evaluate are: (1) Am I likely to win; and, (2) Can I collect afterward?
The attorneys you talked to made it clear that you can win. They also made it clear that you are not likely to collect. If it was likely that you would collect, they would have been willing to take the case.
3. Aside from the lawsuit, you have a more important choice to make. Are you going to choose to be a victim or a person? If you live in fear of those punks, you will live as a victim. They own you. I'm not saying go start a fight - but don't be so afraid of one that you surrender yourself.

Make your decision and move forward with your life.

DC

Added for clarity:
Don't go start a fight. But stand on your rights. If they violate the order, call the police. But don't tiptoe around two bullies in fear of upsetting them.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">