• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assets as Income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hot Topic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Are Certificates of Deposit, traditional IRAs and Roth IRAs considered income?

It doesn't seem they would be unless you cashed them out.

FlyingRon

In what context. As far as IRS is concerned for taxation, none of those are income just because they exist. When the CD matures, the interest becomes taxable income. When you withdraw from the IRAs the withdrawal (for the traditional) and any gain (for the Roth) are taxable.

If you're talking about what can be attached by a creditor (based on the category), the CD (unless it's in a IRA or something) is probably fair game when it matures.

Hot Topic

In what context. As far as IRS is concerned for taxation, none of those are income just because they exist. When the CD matures, the interest becomes taxable income. When you withdraw from the IRAs the withdrawal (for the traditional) and any gain (for the Roth) are taxable.

If you're talking about what can be attached by a creditor (based on the category), the CD (unless it's in a IRA or something) is probably fair game when it matures.

I'm trying to get health insurance. The company wants me to fill out a questionnaire that asks for all sources of income. I didn't think it would be unless I withdrew some of the funds but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks, FR.

LdiJ

I'm trying to get health insurance. The company wants me to fill out a questionnaire that asks for all sources of income. I didn't think it would be unless I withdrew some of the funds but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks, FR.
Those are not sources of income, but they might matter for qualification for low cost health insurance if assets matter.

Hot Topic

As it happens, I just got turned down for insurance provided by the city and county because I have too much in the way of assets (checking account, CD, Iras, etc.).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">