• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assimilitave Crimes Act

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nvbroker

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

Although this is a federal violation on federal land. Speeding 45 in a 25 mile per hour zone. Violation 36 CFR 4.21 (c). The fine is $425!!!!! After reviewing online sources I have found the Assimilitave Crimes Act, which as I read it, means the feds cannot charge more than local jurisdiction. In Las Vegas, speeding up to 20 miles per hour over speed limit is $205 on first offense. Is this a good argument to get the penalty reduced? Further, the officer did not even ask me to sign the citation. Inept? Incompetent? If he can't even follow this basic SOP, can he actually read a speedometer?

FlyingRon

That's not what the Assimilative Crimes Act says. It says the feds can prosecute you for crimes under the local law when they occur on federal property, but it doesn't require them to NOR does it require any parity with local punishments for similar crimes.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Further, the officer did not even ask me to sign the citation. Inept? Incompetent? If he can't even follow this basic SOP, can he actually read a speedometer?
How do you presume to know what his SOP is? Why do you think it was required that you sign?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">