• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attempt at military service leaving a crater in job prospects?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rmet4nzkx

cbg said:
That doesn't even remotely mean that your Army service has anything to do with it. If anything, employers are MORE likely to hire people with an army background, and in some states they are forbidden by law to discriminate on the basis of military service. While not specifically forbidden under Federal law, they would be walking a very fine line indeed by doing so since several laws offer protection to veterans.

I say again, it is EXCEEDINGLY unlikely that your military experience has anything to do with it, and it is MUCH more likely that your lack of work experience is the issue at hand.
CBG,
OP is not a veteran, they failed to disclose their medical history and were discharged because of failure to disclose their medical condition most likely because of not acting appropriately, they have no history of work in the army because they did not make it 1 month in boot camp. A general discharge will adversley affect them in addition to not having work experience. My best suggestion for employment is to contact the dept of social services and try to get work as a caregiver, they always need caregivers. If they are disabled, they need to file for disability or rehabiliation.
Ms. Cupcake

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I understand that, Ms. Cupcake. I am limited by the English language and using the easiest terms available. I realize that he was discharged and did not actually serve. You will notice that I did not quote any specific veteran's law that I said he was protected by; I said that several Federal laws protect veterans, which they do.

Employment law is often a matter of perception. If the law does not permit an employer to discriminate against those who served in the military, and does not allow an employer to take military service into consideration, it is not at all difficult to extrapolate that it is ALSO not a wise move to eliminate someone from consideration on the basis of the terms of their discharge.

L

lmcnatt

Seems to me this young lady needs some educational help in applying for a job. She states in several posts that "she put in her application and never heard from them again". In todays tough employment market, you have to be agressive in following up applications even in minimum wage jobs. You simply cannot sit back and wait for the employer to call you. Here in
Texas, the Texas Workforce Commission has classes and counseling regarding how to apply for jobs and how to counteract negatives...perhaps such help is available in her state. She will have to ask for the help though...

J

Joeker02

Not a young lady, fyi :)

You all have been giving me a lot to think about. I appreciate it.

What are some suggestions as to what I should do to keep on these people? I usually wait about a week, and then call once every 2 days to see if it has been reviewed. I'm very cordial when I call them.

Are there any questions in particular I should be asking thses people when I call? Again, I would appreciate your help.

J.K.

P.S. I've heard from a few people that it may be possible to get some sort of benefits from the state based on the condition of my depression/anxiety. Could this be something that I should look into? My last counselor told me that the only things that could really be of any great help to me now would be to achieve some stability in my life by finding employment, moving out on my own, and meeting new people. Said benefits would go a long way in securing a place to live, and a vehicle that would get me to and from a job. Should I pursue this?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you are calling once every two days, you are probably doing yourself out of a lot of possibilities by driving your prospective employers nuts.

I am quite serious. That is ENTIRELY too often to be calling. Make the first call after one week. If you have not heard after a second week, you MIGHT make a second call after that, but it would be better to wait two weeks after the first call. DO NOT MAKE MORE THAN TWO CALLS. It is not always true that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Sometimes, if there are plenty of other wheels around that are not squeaking, the squeaky wheel gets thrown in the trash.

If I had an applicant calling me every two days, there is NO WAY I would hire him. If he's in my face that much before I hire him, what's he going to be like on the job? I promise you, there are plenty of qualified applicants who are NOT calling every two days and making the employer say, "Oh, God, it's joeker02 again".

As to what you ask them, the first time you ask VERY politely if your resume has been received. The second time (if you MUST call a second time and I do not recommend it), you ask if a decision has been made. That is ALL. After that, the ball is in their court.

If this is what you have been doing, I PROMISE you, your discharge from the military has NOTHING to do with the fact that you're not getting hired. However, the fact that you are an unqualified, inexperienced applicant who is calling every two days, EASILY could be the problem.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
One thing I forgot to mention last night: If the job ad says, "No phone calls" then DO NOT CALL THEM. NOT EVEN ONCE. Not even to ask if your resume was received.

They put "No calls" on there for a reason, and whatever that reason is, the resumes of people who ignore it and call anyway are the FIRST ones eliminated. Often those applications are not even looked at. Why? Because you have made it clear by calling even when the ad says not to, that you can't follow directions.

My .02

I totally agree with cbg (I am an HR professional as is she), your military service probably has little or nothing to do with your inability to get a job.

The previous reasons cited are valid: it's still a bad market; you lack experience; calling as often as you do is ill-advised, etc. In my opinion, you are also hindered further by your lack of experience AT YOUR AGE. If you joined the military two years ago at age 18, that indiates you are at least 20, and possibly 21 years old now. That is too old to not have some valid work experience under your belt if you haven't been attending school, either.

The suggestion of places to gain training/experience was a good one. My only other suggestion is to try a few temporary staffing agencies. They usually have a broad range of jobs suited to people with little or no experience. They also are eager to hire people willing to work! Granted, you won't be able to be too picky - you'll probably begin working jobs that require some form of physical labor (like a factory), and for minimum wage, but showing some initiative and doing a good job and showing yourself to be a dependable employee are going to be great assets to you in the future.

You also need to get yourself in school and get some kind of formalized training on something.

You lack direction...and it shows. THAT is why you are having trouble getting a job.

J

Joeker02

I tried getting into college. I was taking an online program for a few months, but I ran out of money and was unable to continue. I tried to get federal aid, but they wanted some of my dad's tax information. For whatever reason, he drags his feet when it comes to finding time to gather all of those papers. I couldn't provide them with this information, so I was unable to get federal aid for school. So, I had to resort to getting a loan. I thought this had solved my problem, but I was wrong. My dad went through some problems with the management at where he works over the summer and early fall, and was fired. He fought it and was successful, but it took over 2 months for any of his unemployment checks to come. Bills came due in the meantime, and with no money to pay them, the cable internet service and phone service were disconnected. We've since had the phone turned back on, but since it's been so long since i've been able to contact them or submit any of my work, I was automatically withdrawn from the classes.

So now I have an $8,000 loan that I need to start repaying within 4 months, and I can't begin to get any real type of training until I turn 21. Where does this leave me? I tried, I did what I was able to do, and this is where I end up.

cashm0ney

Your situation sounds about as bad as mine except I've been able to get off the meds. Along with Celexa my doctor prescribed excercise, I ignored it for a couple of years and when I decided I want to get off the junk I took his advice and after work when I had a stressfull job I drove out to this really nice wooded park and I just walked for a couple of miles.. It really helped me clear my head and organize my thoughts and it helped with anxiety and I was eventually able to tapper off the medication and felt better then ever and I lost some weight. I also bought a cheap pedometer for like $15 which helped my track my progress.

also I have mixed feelings about doctors who prescribe those medications, I don't believe they always have your best interests in mind. You have to control of it yourself and can't expect medication to fix you. You've got to take control of something in your life if nothing else taking control of your body and getting excercise and eating right will do more for you then any medication will.

Good luck,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">