• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ATTN: Badapple- Contract Problem...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?Iowa

This weekend i was in Des Moines SRP'ing for my deployment to Iraq. I found out that i was enlisted for 6 years. when i thought that i only signed up for two.. i am not trying to get out of the deployment by anymeans. I volunteered for it.. My contract says TWO years plus MSO- the recruiter told me that mso is the ammount of time that i will be in the irr after i finish my two years.. but it turns out that they have me down to serve that time in an active drill status.. i went to my home unit today and my platoon sgt looked all of this stuff up for me. and told me that it does say 6 years-- and then he called the recuiter that enlisted me, and the recuiter played dumb and said that he didnt remember anything about the enlistment. and said that he thought he heard me say that i couldnt enlist for two years and had to enlist for six on the ride back from mep nine months ago when I enlisted.. I cant believe that this has happened, i just want to do the time that i thoght i was going to do. and contunie on with my life.. I am about to contact my local congresmen about this matter.with my platoon sgts blessing.. can you tell me what other steps i can take to get this matter resolved...

Thanks in advance.

Chrisdizz22

I think most contracts are 6 x 2 - six years active reserve and 2 years IRR. I haven't heard of a two year commitment other than the National Call to Service but I believe that's an active duty commitment. Also, I don't know the recruiter was playing dumb, they enlist a lot of people and in the space of nine months time it's completely reasonable to believe he doesn't remember the details of your specific enlistment. On another note, thanks for doing your part in your deployment.

questionia said:
I think most contracts are 6 x 2 - six years active reserve and 2 years IRR. I haven't heard of a two year commitment other than the National Call to Service but I believe that's an active duty commitment. Also, I don't know the recruiter was playing dumb, they enlist a lot of people and in the space of nine months time it's completely reasonable to believe he doesn't remember the details of your specific enlistment. On another note, thanks for doing your part in your deployment.
on my dd 1966/4 it says that my enistment is for 2 years plus mso-- and on the actual contract it says six years seven months and 19 days, when i had asked about that while i was at meps, they said that i would serve two years, then the rest of the time in the IRR. and thats what the recruiter had told me.

Did you change from one service to another? I know my contract reflected the balance of my Reserve contract when I switched to the NG. In other words, I had a 6x2 contract and switched to the NG now I have no IRR and the balance of my contract ~6 years will all be active reserve. Anything like that?

questionia said:
Did you change from one service to another? I know my contract reflected the balance of my Reserve contract when I switched to the NG. In other words, I had a 6x2 contract and switched to the NG now I have no IRR and the balance of my contract ~6 years will all be active reserve. Anything like that?

i was active duty, then was out for two years, then joined the NG..

I think we have this problem solved, i went to my local senators office. and the assistant called down to the unit, and they said that they had checked the wrong box on something, so im supposed to get out of active drill status in 07.. its amazing that they figured this out in fifteen minutes. when i had been down at the unit for two hours yesterday trying to get this straightend out..

thanks for the posts...

badapple40

I'd love to tell you that there is a lot you can do with this. But there really is not. The lesson here is to read enlistment contracts prior to signing them.

badapple40

I'd love to tell you that there is a lot you can do with this. But there really is not. The lesson here is to read enlistment contracts prior to signing them.

Davidzill

Yeah Badapple is right...I took my contract home and read every line carefully before signing. It should have said 6 years on the very 1st page. You pretty much are screwed, but you can maybe claim material misrepresentation, which must be done expeditiously following you finding this out. You came from active duty didn't you? I came from the marines 3 months into my IRR time. The contract length is stated: " Remainder of time of IRR obligation." Basically instead of doing 4 years of IRR for the Marines, I am in the gaurd, until my actual honorable discharge date. I will have no IRR for the gaurd, so they can't recall me.

Davidzill said:
Yeah Badapple is right...I took my contract home and read every line carefully before signing. It should have said 6 years on the very 1st page. You pretty much are screwed, but you can maybe claim material misrepresentation, which must be done expeditiously following you finding this out. You came from active duty didn't you? I came from the marines 3 months into my IRR time. The contract length is stated: " Remainder of time of IRR obligation." Basically instead of doing 4 years of IRR for the Marines, I am in the gaurd, until my actual honorable discharge date. I will have no IRR for the gaurd, so they can't recall me.

was active duty, then was out for two years, then joined the NG..

I think we have this problem solved, i went to my local senators office. and the assistant called down to the unit, and they said that they had checked the wrong box on something, so im supposed to get out of active drill status in 07.. its amazing that they figured this out in fifteen minutes. when i had been down at the unit for two hours yesterday trying to get this straightend out..

thanks for the posts...

yeah i do have it straightened out-- thanks anyway

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">