• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

attorney fees question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elaine60

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I won my case in court and my ex was ordered to pay part of my attorney fees. It also states how long they have to pay it or risk going to jail.

Can my ex file bankruptcy on these attorney fee's since they were court ordered by the judge?

Now they want to pay payments to me. Here again can they file bankruptcy on the attorney fees if we drag it out??????

They have till next month to get it paid or go to jail!

racer72

Yes, the attorney fees can be dismissed by a bankruptcy. I would also like to know what law allows for someone to be jailed for a civil debt beyond child support and taxes.

elaine60

Ex would not facilitate visitation. So I in turn filed rule to show cause. Ex was found in contempt. Judge ordered jail time for the contempt issue with it being deferred with the stipulation that the ex is to pay x amount of dollars in 90 days from the court date.

elaine60

I found this in the Indiana rules of Bankruptcy. Generally speaking, the exceptions to
discharge apply automatically if the language
prescribed by section 523(a) applies. The
most common types of nondischargeable
debts are certain types of tax claims, debts not
set forth by the debtor on the lists and
schedules the debtor must file with the court,
debts for spousal or child support or alimony,
debts for willful and malicious injuries to
person or property

in the judges ruling this is what it states, "that my ex's action were both willful and knowing. So doesn't that pretty much extend to what is in bold above.

This is why I believe that this debt could not be discharged in bankruptcy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">