• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kanut

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Tennessee

When is it approiate to terminate an attorney, can this be done? What are the draw backs of doing so?
We are at the stage of waiting for a hearing?
Thanks

BL

kanut said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Tennessee

When is it approiate to terminate an attorney, can this be done? What are the draw backs of doing so?
We are at the stage of waiting for a hearing?
Thanks
You must have signed an Agreement for the Attorney to represent you .
Your agreement is binding .

So why are you wanting to " terminate " the Attorney ?

If you have to go to the Stage of a Hearing an Attorney is BEST to represent you .

kanut

I know that the attorney gets a percentage of the back pay, which is find, I know they have to make a living also. However, I guess he (attorney) has spent no more that 5 to 6 hours on my husbands case. I have done all of the work. I have gotten appointments for 2nd opinions, I have gotten the medical records, the attorney has not had to do hardly anything.
I guess I am just venting, and yes we do have a contract with him. During the reconsideration time, my husband receives a letter from his family practioner stating that he cannot be gainfully employed now or in the near future, and also the physican filled out the capacity form. I called the attorney and ask him if we could go ahead and forward them to allow this to be a part of the reconsideration, (reconsideration had just been done, 2 or 3 days prior) states no, it may confuse them. My opinion is: he would be losing money if they approved my husband during reconsideration as to waiting 2 or 3 months or maybe longer for a hearing date.

BL

The reconsideration stage is for an independent Panel ( not the original decider ) , to review the Facts , and decide IF the original Denial was proper .

The next step If that panel upheld the original denial Decision is a Hearing .

I Believe at that point your Lawyer could argue New Dr's. Statements .

The Process really does take time . Forward copies of those NEW Dr's. Statements to your attorney for the File for ( future ) use in the case .

I know you're looking to hurry it along , but it really is BEST handle by the Attorney .

Just make sure if the reconsideration is also denied to make sure the Attorney has those New Dr's. Statements .

It is better to KEEP this case open , than to have it closed and start over again . If eventually the Attorney is able to get approval , the MORE back pay will be coming your way .

CancerSurvivor

dont try and be a cheapo. I tried it and got nowhere, until I got an attorney. Sure he got 25% of my backpay, but when the Judge that was going to hear my case knew I had representation I was told by my lawyer before we even went in to the hearing the Judge had told him that I would be approved since I had representation. We still had to go through the motions of testimony and stuff, but the 25% fee was worth saving me the headache and time.

kanut

I understand everything, but just but, guess I am trying to hurry things along. During this awful time span of only one pay check, times are getting tougher and tougher. The attorney is a little sweetie and comes from a group of social security attorneys that there stats are like 95.5 %. Which is really good. Guess I need more patience,(a little money wouldnt hurt either). I know we are not the only ones that have gone thru this, but we have never been to this point before, it puts a big strain on everything, physical, mental.
Thanks for all of your input.

CancerSurvivor

kanut said:
I understand everything, but just but, guess I am trying to hurry things along. During this awful time span of only one pay check, times are getting tougher and tougher. The attorney is a little sweetie and comes from a group of social security attorneys that there stats are like 95.5 %. Which is really good. Guess I need more patience,(a little money wouldnt hurt either). I know we are not the only ones that have gone thru this, but we have never been to this point before, it puts a big strain on everything, physical, mental.
Thanks for all of your input.
Kanut- I was in your shoes. I was the bread winner in the family and all of a sudden our family of five was forced to live off of one income (my wifes)

I wrote every Congressman and Representative I could from my area and luckily I got a letter through to my Reprasentative that happened to be on some Social Security board in Washington DC. He personally (or his office) got my hearing moved up about nine months.

In my letter I stated how we were going to lose our cars and house because of the delay of the red tape. I even itemized in my letter saying how much we came in and how much we were paying for car,house, utilities, insurance, etc...

Please try this as you might get lucky like I did.

Best of luck to you. I hope it works out for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">