• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attorneys fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mosaic7

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New Jersey

In New Jersey I hired an attorney for a probate case. I paid the fee he had requested up front and when the case went to court he said that his fee would be paid from the case settlement. He said the monies I paid up front to hire him would be returned to me after the probate. He made that statement over the phone. He changed his mine, I do not wish to hire another attorney.
What steps can I take to get my money from him?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mosaic7 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New Jersey

In New Jersey I hired an attorney for a probate case. I paid the fee he had requested up front and when the case went to court he said that his fee would be paid from the case settlement. He said the monies I paid up front to hire him would be returned to me after the probate. He made that statement over the phone. He changed his mine, I do not wish to hire another attorney.
What steps can I take to get my money from him?

My response:

That makes no sense at all. You said, "he said that his fee would be paid from the case settlement" and then you said, "He said the monies I paid up front to hire him would be returned to me after the probate."

Since money is fungible, what would it matter if he kept the initial fee and credited it against his final fee? Why would the attorney return money to you for services rendered? Where is your Retainer Agreement?

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">