• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Audio recording in the workplace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wasn't that the major point of this post; you believed they intended on breaking the law?
Yes. I asked "Under the MA wiretapping law wouldn't it STILL be illegal to
record the customers even if they plan on editing them out after the fact? "
and..."Because of this bill can the company do what they are wanting to do? Does this bill over-ride the wiretapping law?"

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Melissa, before you assume that the employer is violating the law with this policy, which may or may not be true, why don't you have a conversation with a MA attorney about implied consent and exceptions? Right now, you are applying your own interpretation of the law, which may or may not be accurate, and making career changing decisions on the basis of what may not be an accurate reading.

Melissa, before you assume that the employer is violating the law with this policy, which may or may not be true, why don't you have a conversation with a MA attorney about implied consent and exceptions? Right now, you are applying your own interpretation of the law, which may or may not be accurate, and making career changing decisions on the basis of what may not be an accurate reading.
You're right, I think I will need to speak to an attorney for better clairification of the law....I just thought someone here may have the answers before I did that. Thanks cbg :)

At no point have YOU been asked to record anyone. So YOU will not be violating any law no matter what.
No, I have not been asked to record anyone. By me giving consent for them to record me I am giving consent for them to record in the store where customers are. Without my consent to record me they cannot record there ( I don't know if this is a law, this is what I was told by them)

I have no clue... but would me signing the consent be some type of aiding and abetting in the violation of a law(the wiretapping law)?

In harrasment cases don't they sometimes charge people with abetting for having knowledge of it but not doing something about it? Maybe this could be treated the same way?

Like I said I have no clue :confused:

justalayman

=melissa1973;2493389]No, I have not been asked to record anyone. By me giving consent for them to record me I am giving consent for them to record in the store where customers are. Without my consent to record me they cannot record there ( I don't know if this is a law, this is what I was told by them)
You are giving them consent to record you. You are not giving them consent to record in the store because you do not have the authority to allow or deny them that.

I have no clue... but would me signing the consent be some type of aiding and abetting in the violation of a law(the wiretapping law)?
No

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">