• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auick Quetion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

penelope10

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

My ex and I have been divorced for over 5 years. It has come for Lil Bit to get her license. My ex has informed me that he can't do parent taught driver's ed because he got a DWI at the end of our marriage. He now wants me to pay 100% of the cost of driver's ed.

I have offered to pay 1/2 of the cost of Lil Bit going to formal driver's ed, but have told him that I do not think that I should pay 100% of the cost. He is the one that got the DWI, not me.

Plus every time an extra cost comes up that is court ordered it is a huge drama. I have never taken him back to up the support, but I am seriously getting tired of this.

He just informed me that the cost of driver's ed which he investigated would cost $500 to $600 dollars and that he would take this out of next month's support payment. (And also that he could not teach her to drive due to his past DWI.) I'd be willing to do this myself except I work about 9 to 10 hours a day and don't get off work until 8 p.m. Monday through Friday.

I have basically let him know that I have not sued for an increase in 5 years. However, I feel very strongly that i should not have to pay 100% of the driver's ed due to a mistake that he has made. I also let him know that he wanted to make an issue of this I would be willing to pay for a forensic accountant. (My ex is wealthy). He doesn't think that he should pay for this since it is not addressed in the decree.

Do you think the courts would be sympathetic in the case?

Last edited:

CJane

You'd spend more taking it to court than just paying 100% of the driver's ed. I know it's unfair and I GET that... but you've got to do a risk/benefit analysis. You wouldn't come out ahead on this one.

Changing child support, sure. But not this one thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">