• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Dealer changed options on order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lodom

I'm in the state of Tennessee, and I ordered a Mustang from a Memphis dealer in Nov of last year with an automatic transmission. I gave the dealership a $500 deposit, and the general manager put the order in the system while I was watching and had me check off all the options on the order to make sure it was correct. I have a copy of what would become the order when the clerk assigns a number to it. I changed my mind on the interior type and went back to the dealer to change from cloth to leather 2 days later, and the general manager placed another order in my name following the same procedure. He couldn't change the original order because it was a different model, and he knew he could sell the car, so it wasn't a problem. Both cars were entered in their system the following week, and I was assured the leather car would be priority and the other one would be changed to a dealer stock unit. I have a copy of the order sheet for the leather car as well. The first car arrived January, but it had cloth interior, so I decided to wait until the car with leather arrived. The dealer never changed the priorities of the cars. I figured it was an honest mistake, since the leather car would be in in March, but it came in this week with a manual transmission. It even showed up on their order sheet refecting the manual transmission when I saw it. This wasn't a mistake by the manufacturer. Someone changed the transmission type after the order was placed with out my permission. A manual transmission was never discussed, and my order sheet clearly shows the option and the price. Naturally, I had to turn down the order.

I have lost over $2000 in the value of my trade since January and even more since the best offer the dealer could make was to reorder with a higher priority. They clearly changed the options on the car without my permission, knowing I wouldn't take the car with the wrong transmission. Is this a good example of "promissory estoppel" and is the dealer liable for changing the terms of a deal without my consent? Could I recover the loss of $ from the dealer in small claims court.

Your advice is appreciated.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">