• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Financing after Chapter 7

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rescuer

What is the name of your state?WA

I am thinking about filing for Chapter 7. I have been leasing a car for 2 years, but will let it go if I file, as I can't afford it anymore. My lawyer says I will have to give the car back within a month of filing. How do I get a car after this? I have no down payment and so far, everything I've looked at online says I can only apply for car financing after the discharge is complete. Any ideas on getting a car after giving it back, but before discharge? The lawyer's legal assistant told me to go and get a car before filing, but I have a poor credit record, due to not paying on my cards for the last 6-8 months. When they check my credit, they will see this, obviously. Should I tell a dealer I am filing for bankruptcy, or is this a really dumb idea? Thanks!

My husband and I were bombarded with offers from auto dealerships trying to get us to buy a car prior to our discharge. Look around and you should be able to find a dealership willing to work with you. But beware, you will be paying through the nose in the way of interest!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">