• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Insurance - Small Claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T3CHN0F0B1A

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

NC has an "interesting" auto insurance law that states (paraphrased), "In a claim where a party is judged to be at fault, if it can be proven that the other party was partially [even 1%] at fault, then the insurance company representing the party who caused the accident doesn't have to pay squat."
We were dealt this hand recently by Direct General whose client turned left in front of my son and totaled our car. They refuse to compensate us for anything, claiming my son was 20% at fault. A witness testified to my son and to the police who took the report that the other driver was at fault. The police cited the other driver for failing to yield AND driving with a suspended license, so I think we’ve got a pretty good case.
I’ve been to the NC Magistrate’s web site and they have a “booklet” and other info that is supposed to answer all your questions, but I still have a few.
Direct General has offices here, however the guy who handled this case is in TN. How do I properly notify and name DG and/or this guy in a small claims case? Also, who notifies them/him and how?
Also, I was advised by the NC Insurance Commission to sue the driver, the owner of the car, and Direct General – 3 parties. The small claims forms have room for only 2 defendants. Anybody know how to handle this?
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sue the at-fault driver. You wouldn't name the insurance company at all.

ETA - You can also include the owner, of course.

T3CHN0F0B1A

Sue the at-fault driver. You wouldn't name the insurance company at all.

ETA - You can also include the owner, of course.
The driver wasn't the owner. Nor was she the insured. My beef isn't with the owner, it is with their insurance company. I was told by the NC Insurance Commission that I need to sue all three.

seniorjudge

The driver wasn't the owner. Nor was she the insured. My beef isn't with the owner, it is with their insurance company. I was told by the NC Insurance Commission that I need to sue all three.
Then sue all three.

Of course the court will immediately dismiss the insurance company since you have no contract with them.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Did the insurance company hit you? You sue the person who caused the damage. And, per the requirements of state law, you may also be able to sue the owner...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">