• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Loan Default - Call The Attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

recentlyseeking

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I just called my bank that I have an auto loan through to make payments to get my account current and they told me to contact their lawyer who was now handling my account.

So needless to say, now I'm terrified to call and I would love it someone out there can lend me some advice as to what I can expect or what I should do...

Thank you!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I just called my bank that I have an auto loan through to make payments to get my account current and they told me to contact their lawyer who was now handling my account.

So needless to say, now I'm terrified to call and I would love it someone out there can lend me some advice as to what I can expect or what I should do...

Thank you!
Maybe you should call the attorney...

Antigone*

You can expect that they will ask you for the balance of the contract. Since you have missed payments and not been willing to negotiate with the lender in any way until now, this is most likely what will happen.

You can expect that they may ask for the vehicle ~ a true possibility.

You can expect the possibility that a law suit will be filed against you.

All of these things are possible. Is it the end of the world - no it isn't; but the outcome of the situation will be dependent on the way conduct yourself.

recentlyseeking

You can expect that they will ask you for the balance of the contract. Since you have missed payments and not been willing to negotiate with the lender in any way until now, this is most likely what will happen.

You can expect that they may ask for the vehicle ~ a true possibility.

You can expect the possibility that a law suit will be filed against you.

All of these things are possible. Is it the end of the world - no it isn't; but the outcome of the situation will be dependent on the way conduct yourself.
Thank you so much for the reply!

Do you think there's any possibility that I could negotiate a payment plan of some sort?

OP,

Be prepared before you call. Have your statements added up; know exactly how much you owe. Be prepared with a reasonable plan to catch up the amount due as well as make the current payments. Make sure it is a plan that you will absolutely be able to live with - if you are a single day late, you will not be given a second chance.

Have a list in front of you of your reasonable monthly expenses and your income. You may be asked to justify your plan and why you can't pay any more.

If you reach agreement, make sure either the lawyer will send you written confirmation, or be prepared to send the confirmation yourself. If you don't receive the written confirmation in the next few days, do it yourself.

Be sure you have the basics ... where to send payment, who to send it to, what date it is due, etc. ... from the lawyer and confirm all that in the writing.

There is no reason to be scared or intimitated, but do be organized and polite.

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">