• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto restoration gone wrong

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joz

I would at least try to negotiate a price that covers some of what Joz claims is owed before simply letting the family member have the car back.
Yes, the owner did say she would pay $2000 of the $3000+ owed. I feel like the "super deal" on pricing was more than enough to make this go smoothly. Before she bought the car, I told her, no, I don't want to do it and if she buys it, find a restorations shop. She still bought the car, sight unseen and came back to me to restore it. Maybe 10 to 12 requests stating, "It's about helping out family".
The OP likely has no license for automotive repair. (A problem in and of itself.)
I do have a business license and seller's permit. The license says on it: "Auto Mechanic or Detailer." I use it to buy 1 or 2 cars a year from auction, fix the damage and sell it. Then, I pay taxes on those sales at the end of the year. I don't need to be registered with the BAR.
I agree that there could be a failure on Joz’s part to provide as required an adequate disclosure of costs, in violation of the California Code of Regulations, Article 7, section 3353 - although this could depend on the content of the email/text exchanges.
I told the owner over and over, "I've never paid someone to restore a car so I don't know what it will be", but I did give a rough estimate from $7000 and I "don't think" it will go to $10k. Then we agreed on $60 per hour. This is in text messages and the invoice for final payment. She was fine with the hourly price but wants proof of the 96 hours I have into it. She's demanding the invoice to show "detailed itemized hours".
I have texts where she says, "I don't know, you're the expert", refereeing to a decision on a repair, and "I hope you continue on the car" but now, it's, "I didn't authorize these repairs". What a nightmare for helping out family.
Thanks for the responses. I may give it back at another discounted price and get it out of my life.

adjusterjack

All of your protestations about not wanting to do the work are irrelevant because you did do the work.

She was fine with the hourly price but wants proof of the 96 hours I have into it. She's demanding the invoice to show "detailed itemized hours".
So, give it to her. Ever hear of a "flat rate manual"? Collision repair shops use them all the time. Go find one (google it) and itemize the work with the number of hours and minutes from the flat rate manual.

What a nightmare for helping out family.
Yeah, always seems to work out like that.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I do have a business license and seller's permit. The license says on it: "Auto Mechanic or Detailer." I use it to buy 1 or 2 cars a year from auction, fix the damage and sell it. Then, I pay taxes on those sales at the end of the year. I don't need to be registered with the BAR.
Yet there you are - repairing a vehicle for compensation.

EDIT:
from https://bar.ca.gov/licensing-ard/apply#faqs

Do I need to be registered with BAR?
Businesses or individuals that receive compensation for repairing, altering, or diagnosing malfunctions of motor vehicles must be registered as an automotive repair dealer with BAR. For more information, refer to Business and Professions Code sections 9880.1 and 9880.2.

To be fair, I used the word "licensed" when I should have used "registered."

Reactions: Joz

quincy

... What a nightmare for helping out family.
Thanks for the responses. I may give it back at another discounted price and get it out of my life.
It sounds like a nightmare. I hope your family member will simply pay the discounted price without argument, take the car, and then leave you alone.
... I do have a business license and seller's permit. The license says on it: "Auto Mechanic or Detailer." ...
You might want to check to see if you were registered at the time you were licensed or if you need to register now. Hopefully your family member will not file any complaint.

Joz

So, give it to her. Ever hear of a "flat rate manual"? Collision repair shops use them all the time. Go find one (google it) and itemize the work with the number of hours and minutes from the flat rate manual.
Yes, I've heard of that. I tried one in the beginning. Tried it again just now. The problem is, they only go back to 2000 or 1990. Also, they cover auto repair shops like, brakes, engines, transmissions, electrical. Or, fender, bumper, hood replacement. Nothing related to panel replacement from rust. But it did lead me to a website called "Cash Cars Buyer" that discussed rust repairs and that it's "unpredictable and hard to categorize in cost". Basically, said the same thing I told the owner in the beginning. I've been restoring pre-galvanized (before 1974), Porsches for years, and you never know, what's under the paint.
We decided to give her the car back at no charge. She's been demanding invoices (which I sent), receipts, photos of the work. I sent all this and still not happy. And to think, 3 months ago, she was begging me to work on this car.
Thanks for all the valuable info and advice. Lesson learned.

Joz

A business must be registered by BAR as an automotive repair dealer (ARD) to repair and/or diagnose malfunctions of motor vehicles for compensation.
This seems to apply to a mechanic shop. As in, brakes, engines, electrical. That's not me. I would categorize it as Vintage car restoration. No mechanic shop is going to cut out rusty panels and weld in new ones.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm glad it all worked out. I believe that you made a difficult, yet wise, choice.

quincy

Yes, I've heard of that. I tried one in the beginning. Tried it again just now. The problem is, they only go back to 2000 or 1990. Also, they cover auto repair shops like, brakes, engines, transmissions, electrical. Or, fender, bumper, hood replacement. Nothing related to panel replacement from rust. But it did lead me to a website called "Cash Cars Buyer" that discussed rust repairs and that it's "unpredictable and hard to categorize in cost". Basically, said the same thing I told the owner in the beginning. I've been restoring pre-galvanized (before 1974), Porsches for years, and you never know, what's under the paint.
We decided to give her the car back at no charge. She's been demanding invoices (which I sent), receipts, photos of the work. I sent all this and still not happy. And to think, 3 months ago, she was begging me to work on this car.
Thanks for all the valuable info and advice. Lesson learned.
I am sorry that your family member took advantage of your expertise and your good nature and decided to cause you such grief. You probably are preserving your mental health by just giving her the car back, though, even if wiping your hands of the whole deal is a financial hit.

adjusterjack

It's best to say no to family and friends. Awkward at first but a lot less awkward than having things blow up later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">