• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back child support for half-sibling??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I take it that they simply want to protect their parent's final wishes by trying to prevent possible will challenges in the future.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I take it that they simply want to protect their parent's final wishes by trying to prevent possible will challenges in the future.
It's not going to be a will challenge. It's going to be a claim against the estate. And the OP is trying to make sure that the person who is owed this particular debt is screwed in the end...just like dad has been doing this entire time.

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI, NY or PA

One of my parents has children from a previous marriage (sometime between 1967-1975), from either PA, MI or NY. I have not met the children (now grown adults). I'm not even sure they know about my sibling and I. I'mn ot even sure my if my parent has terminated his/her parental rights. (No one will discuss this with me, and parents are getting older...)

What is the statute of limitations on collecting back child support, assuming they have not been adopted by a step-parent? If they have been adopted by a step-parent, do they forfeit their right to collect? Also, can they file a claim against an estate, once the parent dies? Would it be best to will them a specific amount ($1.00) or best not to will them anything at all?
How about letting the estate's attorney handle it ? ;)

TinkerBelleLuvr

There is an assumption going on that there is an outstanding arrearage. There can very well not be one. Just because you don't visit doesn't mean that you didn't pay.

If the OP has been listed as an executor, then he is in the right to find out about the process of handling estate bills.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There is an assumption going on that there is an outstanding arrearage. There can very well not be one. Just because you don't visit doesn't mean that you didn't pay.

If the OP has been listed as an executor, then he is in the right to find out about the process of handling estate bills.
True Enough...

mistoffolees

Not really.

First, the executor is not responsible for anything until the people die.

Second, the executor's job is to ensure that bills are handled properly after they are presented. It is not the executor's job to advise the parents in how to avoid paying otherwise legitimate bills.

It still sounds like OP is trying to ensure that the half siblings don't get anything.

Just to distinguish...you mentioned collecting child support, and then mentioning the children and giving them a dollar or something so it won't appear they were forgotten. That is two different things.

Child support, as you have been told, wouldn't be due to the CHILDREN, it would be due to the other parent, if it had been ordered.

Willing someone a dollar in order to prevent them from claiming they were accidentally left out is a valid way of dealing with a child that doesn't inherit, but again, is totally separate from the issue of a possible child support debt.

Isis1

yup....this is convincing me more and more to leave everything to my cat.

i should probably get a cat first...

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yep, sounds like OP is just looking to protect his/her "share" of the estate. Wouldn't it be amusing if, at the reading of the will, it turns out that *OP* is the one only getting $1?

Seriously, OP - this is NOT your business. If your Mom/Dad doesn't want to discuss it (with you or anyone else), s/he doesn't have to. Perhaps you should spend some more time enjoying the time you have. The "stuff" you might get will be cold consolation to your parent's passing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">